Had to get out of the House!

PODIGGER

I couldn't stay away from the river any longer.  13 days without a fossil hunt and the Peace River at the lowest levels I have seen made for too much of a temptation.  I figured I would head to a spot off the main river channel where people have passed me by before without even seeing me.  It also allowed me to park in a different area.  Where I had parked on the last visit was getting too busy with people swimming and fishing.  Got to the river early, about 7:40 am and no one else was around.  Loaded up and headed up river.  Had to get out and walk a few times as I pulled the kayak over areas where the water was very low.  When I got to my spot the water was shallower than any prior trip.  As I started digging everything coming up was covered with green algae and the water was very cloudy.  I attributed this to the water level and lack of water flow causing the settling of material on the bottom.  The morning was going pretty slow with only some small shark teeth coming up.  About 10:30 I was rewarded with a nice Hemi and this inspired me to keep digging in the same spot.  Glad I did! Within the next couple of hours I came up with a partial proboscidian (mammoth or mastodon) metatarsal, several more unk bones, a partial antler, a deer astragalus, dolphin bulla, a partial meg and some additional nice teeth.

A little before noon I heard a very loud air boat heading my way.  When it came into view I saw that it was two Florida Wildlife Commission officers.  They passed by my site without seeing me and went a little farther north and stopped.  After a short time I heard what sounded like a chainsaw.  I was curious, so I took a walk along the bank to see what they were up to.  Turns out they were cutting back debris from the river to ensure it remains navigable.  This was a pleasant surprise and made my return trip easier at a tight spot farther down stream that I found widened as I headed home.  Some photos of the days finds:

First up the assorted bones including the metatarsal in the lower left.  I believe the bone in the upper right is a very worn mammoth/mastodon carpal bone.

20200413_182100_resized.png.thumb.jpeg.82493e95e4a7e4ee3c669c4087705312.jpeg

Next the metatarsal looking like the foot of a small elephant -

20200413_181046_resized.thumb.jpg.954b458f9e8922a0b92e092aa0266869.jpg

Partial antler and deer astragulus -

20200413_184305_resized.png.jpeg.9bf530a5a060c5fd9c86f0333fdc60ec.jpeg

A few shark teeth  and dolphin bulla -

20200413_184336_resized.png.thumb.jpeg.af647c95ef5bd22dd250c9f6eb7cce9c.jpeg

Looking forward to a return trip next week!

• I found this Informative 3

A fellow digger that I met in Zolfo on Sunday said that last Saturday the FWC airboat put in at Pioneer park went up and down river and said that fishing on the river was acceptable, but that digging for fossils was not a necessary activity and will not be allowed. Because he had a small fishing pole on his kayak, they left him alone. That is a tough one to figure out, but my take away has always been to AVOID SATURDAYS!

• I found this Informative 1

They did see me at my kayak digging/sifting before they left but all they did was waive and leave.  Being there was no one else in the area and they were on a mission they didn't seem interested in what I was doing.  Guess it won't hurt to stick a fishing pole in the kayak next time.  I always have my fossil and fishing licenses with me when I am on the river.  I also avoid the weekends as much as possible.

So, let me get this straight : A steel cage match between the Undertaker and John Cena is "essential", but amateur paleontology while observing social distancing guidelines is not.

Got it.  :DOH:

Glad you folks have been getting out there. Be careful and stay safe. I am still riding the bench for a week or two more until the coach (wife) inserts me into the line-up. LOL.

19 minutes ago, Bone Daddy said:

So, let me get this straight : A steel cage match between the Undertaker and John Cena is "essential", but amateur paleontology while observing social distancing guidelines is not.

Just ask yourself which brings in the most revenue? 

That's usually the winner. ;)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, Bone Daddy said:

o, let me get this straight : A steel cage match between the Undertaker and John Cena is "essential", but amateur paleontology while observing social distancing guidelines is not.

It's one of those "Only in Florida" things. lol.

20 hours ago, PODIGGER said:

It's one of those "Only in Florida" things. lol.

Florida Man is as Florida Man does. LOL.