Do you see any Bryozoan fossils here?

Ramona

With all of your help, I am learning to better identify fossils in the rocks I pick up in my yard - mostly bryozoan and crinoids.  Boring to most folks, but still fun for me, LOL!  I picked this rock up assuming it was a non native one, but then decided to get my macro lens after it to make sure.  I need your help!  Do you see any bryozoan or crinoid fossils in these macro photos?  I didn't think so at first, but then I started wondering about some tiny things I was seeing. So, if no one sees any fossils, I will just go back to my original idea - that it is a non native rock to our yard.  

I would also love to understand a bit about how a rock like this is formed!  It is a gorgeous rock and I would be happy to post a photo of the whole thing if anyone is interested.

Thanks!
Ramona

IMG_1881-25edit.jpg

IMG_1907-51edit.jpg

IMG_1912-56edit.jpg

3 minutes ago, dhiggi said:

I’m no expert but isn’t that igneous rock and therefore not very likely to contain fossils?

Well, that could be the answer I am looking for! I will post the photo of the whole rock and maybe someone can tell me?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, connorp said:

Looks igneous to me too. Maybe granite?

Thanks! I am going to post a photo of the whole rock, so maybe I can get a better id?

OK, here is the whole rock.  Isn't it gorgeous?!  Sorry I didn't measure - it's about 3 inches long. Found in Huntsville, AL.

IMG_1858-2edita.jpg

If this is an igneous rock, then it is most likely NON native.  As in, someone carried it into the yard and then dropped it in the woods.  Does that make sense?  

Edited to say:  I am researching this now, and I see some commonalities between this and some other rocks I have been finding in the woods.  They might be granite, too, but I haven't gotten around to researching them yet!  I will start working on those to see if there might be a connection between them and this one.  I am curious to see if I find different types of rocks in different areas of our yard. 

Yes, looks like granite to me, too. 

The pinky bits are feldspar, the white bits are quartz and the black pieces biotite mica. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yes, looks like granite to me, too. 

The pinky bits are feldspar, the white bits are quartz and the black pieces biotite mica. 

So I am pretty sure it's a non native rock, then!  I guess there were rock collectors that lived here before me - and they dropped it!  Thanks!!

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

This could also be slightly metamorphic, since I believe I'm seeing bits of garnet here.

IMG_1881-25edit.thumb.jpg.885b9658d851c8602502c856dad1b4d9.jpg

Thank you!! I did some research online and have come to the conclusion that this gorgeous rock was likely brought here and dropped by someone, as it does not match the types of rocks found here.  It is very different than everything I have dug up - that is for certain!  What a cool learning experience this has been!  I printed off a bunch of papers to help me in future research, too!

Granite is sold as landscaping rock in 50-lb bags at gardening centers throughout the country. This explains how certain kinds of non-native stone makes its way into any area, urban and rural. Anywhere there's a garden . . .

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 4/14/2020 at 5:29 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

Granite is sold as landscaping rock in 50-lb bags at gardening centers throughout the country. This explains how certain kinds of non-native stone makes its way into any area, urban and rural. Anywhere there's a garden . . .

Ah, okay!  I didn't know that!  This rock was a loner, but I suspect someone else liked it enough to pick it up and then dropped it in the woods!  Thanks for the heads up!