Peace River ungual

digit

Spending some time in the house picking through some micro-matrix I collected last time I was out on the Peace River. The fine gravel is more worn and polished than from other sites (like Cookiecutter Creek) but that is to be expected since the Peace is a much larger waterway with a greater flow (especially in the summer when the gravel is being deposited). Most of the small shark teeth tend to be worn as well but not as much as you'd find from specimens picked up from the surf zone of places like Caspersen Beach in Venice, FL which produce a lot of teeth that look like they've been through a rock tumbler.

Few novelties seem to come from the Peace River micro-matrix (compared to other micro-matrix sites in Florida) but an interesting little ungual turned up yesterday. My suspicion is that this is likely a turtle claw core but I see so few of these that I can't distinguish avian from terrapin. Anybody have a thought on this little find? It measures 7.5 mm from end to end.

Cheers.

-Ken

2020-04-15 13-30-41.jpg2020-04-15 13-31-14.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Nice find! It may be turtle but I think bird claw. Does not look to be predatory though.