April 15th, 2020 Peace River, Zolfo Springs trip

Sacha

I went back to Zolfo Springs again yesterday to make use of the 94 degree day before the predicted cold front and rain came in. Nobody else on the river as the day was supposed to be pretty windy, but it held off almost until I was on my way back to the truck. Decent results with a bison incisor, nice little meg and mako and a cool little canine. The canine is about the length and contour as a domestic house cat and a little thinner and less curved than a raccoon. Nice day out.

DSCF1770.thumb.jpg.f3e45e02ca076bb70eaddd426f0c2291.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Excellent haul!!  :wub: :wub:

I'm envious of your ability to still get out and hunt.  In theory at least, I could be stopped and fined a lot for leaving my property for anything except getting groceries, prescriptions, or going to the doctor.

Don

Can't say I've ever come across a bison incisor before--and only a few bison molars (not the most common species in my experience).

Looks like a nice piece of beaver tooth as well. The little canine is interesting but could prove difficult to identify unless it matches well with something like raccoon or possum.

Got an email from my mom yesterday showing the snow they had in Chicago. I spent the day working in the yard and wilting under the heat. That's latitude for you. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

11 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Excellent haul!!  :wub: :wub:

I'm envious of your ability to still get out and hunt.  In theory at least, I could be stopped and fined a lot for leaving my property for anything except getting groceries, prescriptions, or going to the doctor.

Don

Volusia county beaches near where I live (Daytona Bch, New Smyrna Bch, etc) are open again and fishing was never curtailed, although the definition of what boating activities are allowable is apparently up to the individual FWC officer. We should have 6 to 8 weeks of low water left and then it's pretty much over for us as well. It sounds like republican gov's are going to try to open up sooner rather than later so I'm expecting our restrictions will be reduced whether it's appropriate or not. 

Awesome finds! how long were you out for? zolfo springs is usually my go to. i hit up pioneer park and head a few miles south. Ive never really gone north. do you have any luck north of pioneer park or is south the way to go?

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, gw45 said:

Awesome finds! how long were you out for? zolfo springs is usually my go to. i hit up pioneer park and head a few miles south. Ive never really gone north. do you have any luck north of pioneer park or is south the way to go?

I've only gone downstream once without any luck, but I didn't go more than a mile. I always tend to paddle upstream from wherever I put in so I can coast downstream after digging. I usually work for 4 to 5 hours and did this day. It's tough finding stuff in this section of river though. It's really been hit pretty hard.

• I found this Informative 1

I've gone north and south many times at Zolfo. In my experience, I find more quantity of fossils upstream of the ramp, but I have found a higher quality of fossils when going downstream.

Zolfo is loaded with fossils, so you really can't go wrong by heading in either direction.

I could say more, but then I would have to kill everyone reading this. LOL.

• I found this Informative 2

48 minutes ago, Bone Daddy said:

I could say more, but then I would have to kill everyone reading this. LOL.

That's prohibited in the forum rules-so don't do it. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

If you go south theres this spot with a huge bend in the river and a little island in the middle ive had a ton of good luck there! the quantity of teeth there is crazy. ive even found some big teeth just sitting up on the banks. I found my first nurse shark tooth there!

• I found this Informative 2