Another "mold" unknown- Pteronites again?

Bonehunter

So, from the same road-cut, same layer as the object I just posted. Figure 1 is the "dorsal" surface, Figure 2 is the narrowed end through matrix. This one is better preserved to the point I can see circumferential "channels" in the margin (white arrows) and two lateral edges or "alae"? (A and B ) (Figure 3). Question-do you think it would be of any benefit to lift off the layer depicted? (Blue arrow in Figure 4).  How would/could I even clean away all the other matrix? What are the "channels"?, So many questions!!....Cool eh? Thanks again and my apologies for hogging the forum! :)   Bone

IMG_0857.jpg.50fa79ad158d2189ec67361fc115907b.jpgIMG_0858.jpg.69e6fb1bc8e935618882fbecc2fb27e2.jpg5e98872dee2f6_Pteronitesmold.jpg.114519b51abf5e4b1ba6db60bc1ee267.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

There was a thread about something similar here last year. I think aviculopinna (pteronites) is a good match.

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 years later...

Some new information below.

Yancey, T., Amler, M., Raczyński, P., & Brandt, S. (2022). Rebuilding the foundation of late Paleozoic pinnid bivalve study (family Pinnidae). Journal of Paleontology, 1-12. doi:10.1017/jpa.2022.55

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-paleontology/article/rebuilding-the-foundation-of-late-paleozoic-pinnid-bivalve-study-family-pinnidae/8490ABEEAB8336AE73A36D551164159C

Essentially, Aviculopinna is limited to Permian strata, and Pteronites is a smaller genus, not a member of the Pinnidae, and belongs in the early Carboniferous.

• I found this Informative 1

Fossils of Parks Township - ResearchCatalog | How-to Make High-Contrast Photos

• 2 months later...