Looking for information on a historic Jurassic squid fossil

The Amateur Paleontologist

I was recently skimming through one of William Buckland's papers (in Geology and mineralogy considered with reference to natural theology). In the paper, he discussed (and illustrated) a squid fossil that had been found by Mary Anning, in the Lias/Jurassic of Lyme Regis in 1828 (see pic below). 

Would anyone happen to know in what museum this fossil currently is?

5e99c1050863c_ScreenShot2020-04-17at16_26_51.png.ee60d210b0b80ac0a021bebc548b62fc.png

Taken from Buckland (1837), plate 44'', fig. 1.

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

I don't know but it looks likely to be a Phragmoteuthis (as your tag suggests).  Other specimens from the same plate (figs 6, 7 & 8) are in the Oxford University Museum. 

Sorry if you've already worked all that out!

• I found this Informative 3

Tarquin

2 hours ago, TqB said:

I don't know but it looks likely to be a Phragmoteuthis (as your tag suggests).

Looked up Dorset phragmoteuthids just now, and I came across this interesting bit in a paper by Donovan (2006):

Phragmoteuthis huxleyi sp. nov. 

1836 Belemno-sepia; Buckland, vol. 2, pp. 70–71, pl. 44’’ figs 1–4.

1864 Belemnite; Huxley, p. 14, pl. 1, figs 4, 4a.

1922 Phragmocon eines Belemnoiden; Naef, p. 262, fig. 65d (p. 172).
1966 unnamed genus; Jeletzky, p. 38 (huxleyi in manuscript).
1977 [phragmoteuthid phragmocone]; Donovan, p. 21.

Holotype. BM(NH) no. C46849, from bed 85 of Lang and Spath (1926, p. 159), Upper Sinemurian, Obtusum Zone, Stellare Subzone, of Stonebarrow, near Charmouth, Dorset, England.

Paratypes. BM(NH) nos. 39857, 83963 (Huxley’s figured speci- men), C313, C46836. All from ‘Lower Lias’, probably Obtusum Zone, Dorset coast.

Yeah I think Anning's specimen that I posted above is a Phuxleyi :) But then I checked the NHMUK collection database for the specimens mentioned as holotype/paratype, and I have no idea which one was the one found by Anning, as no pictures of the fossils were included in the database entries!...

2 hours ago, TqB said:

Other specimens from the same plate (figs 6, 7 & 8) are in the Oxford University Museum

Thanks for that info, that's good to know :) 

• I found this Informative 3

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

@The Amateur Paleontologist That's the paper I had my information from, I can see you're well on the case! Annoying about the lack of photos of NHM type material - I hope they might one day have the funds and research interest to do more. :)

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

@TqB I know, right? Even for famous specimens (such as Mary Anning's first complete Plesiosaurus), there sometimes aren't pictures of the material! 

But enough dissing the NHM.. that place is a brilliant museum ;) 

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

12 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

@TqB I know, right? Even for famous specimens (such as Mary Anning's first complete Plesiosaurus), there sometimes aren't pictures of the material! 

But enough dissing the NHM.. that place is a brilliant museum ;) 

Indeed! I once spent a happy week in the research and storage area, going through drawer stacks of belemnites and other coleoids. :) 

Tarquin

1 hour ago, TqB said:

Indeed! I once spent a happy week in the research and storage area, going through drawer stacks of belemnites and other coleoids. :) 

I bet that was amazing :) I spent last year half a day in the cephalopod collections looking at Belemnotheutis specimens from Wiltshire, which was quite wonderful!

Just to know, were you there for a particular research project?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

2 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

I bet that was amazing :) I spent last year half a day in the cephalopod collections looking at Belemnotheutis specimens from Wiltshire, which was quite wonderful!

Just to know, were you there for a particular research project?

I'm very interested in belemnotheutids. The classic B. antiquus is now Acanthoteuthis antiqua, unless this paper has been superseded. 

Doyle & Shakides 2004

Yes, I was doing my Ph D, on Lower Lias belemnites. A long time ago and never published anything. :) Are you planning on bringing anything out?

Tarquin

5 hours ago, TqB said:

The classic B. antiquus is now Acanthoteuthis antiqua

Really? I don't think I've seen that before, even in recent literature (such as the Hart et al. 2019 paper on coleoid arm hooks from the Jurassic of the UK)... :headscratch:

Did you get to take a look at any belemnite material collected by Mary Anning while working on your Ph.D?

6 hours ago, TqB said:

Are you planning on bringing anything out?

Yeah I've started working on a project involving the description of coleoid arm hooks from the Cretaceous of Denmark. :)

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

@The Amateur Paleontologist Having looked around a bit, not everyone agrees with Acanthoteuthis/Belemnotheutis synonomy. :) But I don't think there's been a formal revision since the Doyle & Shakides paper. I was convinced!

I don't remember anything labelled of Mary Anning's - I was mainly looking at Lang's Belemnite Marls material and relevant type specimens.

I look forward to seeing your arm hook material, very interesting and useful to see what was swimming around. :)  

Tarquin