Bryozoan and Horn coral IDs

Misha

Hello everyone,

This will be my final ID topic for a while as I am trying to get some labels for a few fossils in my collection.

Here are two fossils of marine animals, the first I believe is a bryozoan, I have no idea of the location or age of either but this piece has a strong resemblance to the devonian Fistuliramus and Eridotrypella from Morocco.

The second is a very white and chalky horn coral, I am guessing that it is from somewhere in the US as the person I got it from mostly has US fossils. Does anyone recognize the fossilization on this piece? I am trying to identify where it is from.

IMG_20200415_192118.jpg

IMG_20200415_192127.jpg

IMG_20200415_192146.jpg

IMG_20200415_192230.jpg

IMG_20200415_192200.jpg

The bryozoan could be Moroccan.

Fistuliramus and Eridotrypella are two different genera. 

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

6 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The bryozoan could be Moroccan.

Fistuliramus and Eridotrypella are two different genera. 

Yes, sorry those were supposed to be separated.

Do you know how to differentiate between the two? When searching for either on the web you get the same pictures with people selling both in lots, some look very similar to this piece which is why I thought it might be one of them.

1 hour ago, Misha said:

Yes, sorry those were supposed to be separated.

Do you know how to differentiate between the two? When searching for either on the web you get the same pictures with people selling both in lots, some look very similar to this piece which is why I thought it might be one of them.

Not a clue. 

But I understand that most of the Moroccan ones are actually Eridotrypella, but that's just hearsay, I haven't researched this at all. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I'm not seeing septa on the rugose coral.  Could be a member of the Cystiphyllida such as Cystiphylloides.

• I found this Informative 3

2 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

I'm not seeing septa on the rugose coral.  Could be a member of the Cystiphyllida such as Cystiphylloides.

Very interesting, I didn't even know about these animals before.

I found a picture of Cystiphylloides americanum online from the Hungry Hollow that looks very similar to this piece. 

1 hour ago, Misha said:

Very interesting, I didn't even know about these animals before.

I found a picture of Cystiphylloides americanum online from the Hungry Hollow that looks very similar to this piece. 

It's still a rugose coral, but the corallum is mostly filled with dissepiments, and the septa are mostly or entirely absent on mature specimens of some species.:)  There could be defined septa in the center that are obscured or I am just not seeing them in the photo.  

59 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

It's still a rugose coral, but the corallum is mostly filled with dissepiments, and the septa are mostly or entirely absent on mature specimens of some species.:)  There could be defined septa in the center that are obscured or I am just not seeing them in the photo.  

Having the piece in hand I cannot identify any septa myself either, I think your ID is as close as I will get to naming this coral.

Thank you for all the help.

• 4 months later...

Well, if I'm right, Fistuliramus and Eridotrypella are not only two different genera, but they belong also to two different orders of the phylum Bryozoa. Eridotrypella was described first by Duncan in 1939 and belongs to the order Trepostomata; Fistuliramus was described first by Astrova in 1960 and belongs to the order Cystoporata. Unfortunately the volume of "Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology", which contains the order Trepostomata, was not revised upto now. Eridotrypella is only described in old volume G from the year 1953.