CaptnC

As the title states, I just found these two items. I was turkey hunting with my wife and happened to see the "tooth" on the ground as we walked up to the truck. There was a fossilized clam about palm size and one about the size of my thumb nail in the same spot.

Then later in the day I was walking back to the truck to get my jacket, cutting across a terraced field. The field was last worked about 20 years ago. I think it's a petrified egg. It's also one of the highest points on the property so it didn't come from a river unless someone carried it there many many years ago.

Both items are roughly 3" long...

20200417_215041.jpg

20200417_215859.jpg

Here is the flip side of the "tooth"...the wear mark looks like an opposing tooth wore against it...

20200417_215956.jpg

Hello and a warm welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.  I can sure see why you picked these rocks up; they look very much like what you imagine.  I'm thinking however that they are both look-alikes and not actually fossils.

As for the "egg" fossil, Id refer you to a previous TFF post: 

As for the "tooth", unfortunately there is no appearance of enamel that would be typical of a tooth fossil.  Continue with the forum and you will see plenty examples of tooth fossils and will be able to see that this is not one; and, more importantly, you will know one when you do find it.

Again, a warm welcome.

• I found this Informative 4

Moved to Fossil ID.  ;)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for the greeting!

In my heart I knew it wasn't. But it has contours a tooth could have. The shape, the wear of a opposing canine tooth and it looks like it has a gum line.

When I first seen the pink quartz I though I found a turkey egg. Which I have found during the spring before. As I bent over to pick it up I noticed the color was wrong...then it was stone.

It certainly looks like a stone from a river bed, but there are no flowing rivers or any drainages that look like they had flow any where near the property. AND it's a long way from any where someone might have lived inside of the last 50 years.

I found this last year walking back to our camp house. Looks like the Indian who was carving it chipped a big piece off and ruined his project.

20190426_165249.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys...I went back to the spot I found "the tooth" to see if I could find the two clams I found but dropped them after finding the "the tooth".

Well, guess what...I found another thing that looks nearly exactly like " the tooth" I found previously!  The only difference is it's smaller...making it look like it's from a different part of a jaw. Yes, I know...sounds like I'm still wishing it to be a tooth.

Ok...let's assume it's not a tooth...then what are they?

Here is a pic of them together...first one is the larger "tooth".

20200429_212520.jpg

That’s a beautiful broken artifact. I would definitely keep looking for more of those and keep my eye out for possible fossils as well. However, I agree what you have posted are 

not fossils