Jump to content

I just don't know???


Ruger9a

Recommended Posts

Good morning folks.  I have a strange fossil that "looks" like it might be a devil's toenail or ????  It is filled with what looks like ocean debris.  It looks like a shell, but has way too many layers.  It also looks like some sort of coral or stromatolite.  It came from a box of rocks purchased at a yard sale so there isn't any ID information.  Anyone know what this really is? 

DSCN4726 (2).JPG

DSCN4728 (2).JPG

DSCN4737 (3).JPG

DSCN4740 (3).JPG

DSCN4741 (2).JPG

DSCN4743 (2).JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to get a feel for the morphology from the photos (not your fault - I'm on my phone and without my glasses), but I wonder if it might be the oyster  Pycnodonte or similar. 

  • I found this Informative 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree it seems to be an oyster.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears to have both valves intact.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you guys.  So, the consensus is oyster; likely Pycnodonte - right?  I checked out Pycnodont on wiki and it does look very similar.  What is all the stuff inside, it's last dinner or a collection of settlements afterwards?  

John, yes it does have both values intact.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

Thank you guys.  So, the consensus is oyster; likely Pycnodonte - right?  I checked out Pycnodont on wiki and it does look very similar.  What is all the stuff inside, it's last dinner or a collection of settlements afterwards?  

John, yes it does have both values intact.

I would be hesitant to say it's Pycnodonte for sure.  Oysters can be difficult to identify, especially if you don't know what age or formation.  It could be any number of taxa.  I just threw out Pycnodonte, because of the high dome and somewhat round shape.  Without geological context, I'd just label it as "oyster".  You might be able to narrow it down to family Gryphaeidae. 

  • I found this Informative 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Will do as recommended.  Do you have any idea as to "contents" got there?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ruger9a said:

Will do as recommended.  Do you have any idea as to "contents" got there?

I think that's bits of broken fossil shell "hash" and associated matrix (from the ancient sea floor) adhering to the concavity in the valve (shell) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

I think that's bits of broken fossil shell "hash" and associated matrix (from the ancient sea floor) adhering to the concavity in the valve (shell) 

Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
minnbuckeye

How about a LARGE Prasapora?? The local Prasapora here are at best 2" across. But I have seen pictures MUCH larger, big as a hand. Caleb, RIP, posted these pictures. Prasaporas are domed on top and concave on the bottom with many concentric rings. The concavity allows debris to fill in this space. Look carefully on the domed surface for evidence of a bryozoan pattern. It can be subtle.

 

Bottom: post-3840-0-68519200-1378611377_thumb.jpg Top:post-3840-0-99664300-1378611371_thumb.jpg

and with a scale:

post-3840-0-07426800-1378611369_thumb.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Minnbuckeye.  I thought it might be a contender until I checked out several references.  I borrowed the below photo of Prasopora simulatrix (bryozoan colony) from JefferyP of this forum to post here for comparison, it doesn't appear to be a match.  What do you think?

gallery_13044_2171_307007.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
minnbuckeye

I thought it a long shot but because no knowledge of location, I thought it should at least be in the list of differential diagnoses. Prasapora  that I find look more like your specimen underneath than JefferyP's.  His show structure vividly while mine typically only have the rough rings. 

 

 Mike

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2020 at 4:46 PM, minnbuckeye said:

I thought it a long shot but because no knowledge of location, I thought it should at least be in the list of differential diagnoses. Prasapora  that I find look more like your specimen underneath than JefferyP's.  His show structure vividly while mine typically only have the rough rings. 

 

 Mike

Mike,

I appreciate any leads that I can research for one of my "unknowns", thanks.

Wayne

Link to post
Share on other sites
minnbuckeye

@Ruger9a, message me your address and I will send you a handful of prasapora. From there, you should be able to tell if it is a possibility. 

 

 Mike

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...