Is this Foraminifera?

Bonehunter

Good morning all!

While I was magnifying a shell which looks similar to a modern scallop I noted several discoid shaped objects in the matrix, so I cleaned them away and these are the best pictures I have so far. It measures 458um in diameter and is heavily crystallized. It is a very fossiliferous Pennsylvanian layer is all I can i.d. On the right track or way off?   I have both sides depicted but the edge also has small "pores"/discreet nodules but can't get a pick of that yet. I will try to get some better pictures too. Thanks for looking and comments appreciated! Bone

Image_1217.thumb.jpg.4df90c1b8d05e6ae78851bcd2af31fa5.jpgIMG_1304.jpg.c92051f1f353ca83147e89d3e09760c9.jpg 

• I found this Informative 2

12 hours ago, Darbi said:

Yes, that definitely looks like Foraminifera. I do not know what species.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

Looks like a foram to me too, but I don't know the species either. 

Thanks!!

Yes. it does indeed look like a foram.  There are many types of forams and they often are identified only by subtle differences and/or microscopic preparation.  But, if you take a look at the link below, you may find one that looks similar and that may help to narrow down or focus your search for an ID.  I took a quick look and yours looks similar to Ozawainella ciscoensis on page 6.  Looking at the foram edgewise may help confirm or rule this out.  It is somewhere to start if you would like to try and narrow down the ID beyond "foram".

https://www.dallaspaleo.org/resources/Documents/PGUPFT 5 foram ostracod.pdf

• I found this Informative 2