Sharks Teeth or Rocks?

erin_arnold

Hi Everyone! I'm new here but was hoping for some help. My daughter and I were hunting for sea glass yesterday along the coastline in Jamestown, RI (there is a small, hidden location that has worn down glass, pottery, shells and stones) and I found a few treasures that look like they could be shark teeth but I'm not convinced. In your opinion are these worn down fossils or simply rocks that got my hopes up??? Any input would be greatly appreciated! 

20200421_150151.jpg

20200421_150042.jpg

Yes, it looks like shale with quartz bands that has been broken and eroded with the harder quartz bands making the 'root' of the 'tooth' and protecting a triangular piece of the shale from some of the erosion. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Yeah, what @Tidgy's Dad said. 

Wow, these really look like shark teeth. That's the first thing crossed my mind and then I noticed something is not quite right in the photos!

• I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, Darbi said:

Wow, these really look like shark teeth. That's the first thing crossed my mind

That was my thought exactly.  You certainly have a good eye for shapes.  That should serve you very well as you continue to hunt for fossil treasures to add to your sea glass collection.

Let me also extend a warm welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.  You will find this a knowledgeable, welcoming group to address such questions as you have asked.  Again, Welcome!