Dinosaur egg?

Mordekainen

Is this a dinosaur egg?

Here are some pictures taken with my cellphone: https://imgur.com/a/br5GeUM

I found it at my friend's house when I was a kid. It was probably around the mid-90's. If still I remember correctly, I found it mixed in with other rocks on the edge of their driveway or something.

• Their house was in the Santa Cruz Mountains, Bay Area, California but the "egg" may have been brought in with other rocks.
  • It is slightly egg shaped and about 3.75 x 3.5 x 1.5 inches (9.5 x 9 x 4 cm).
  • It weighs 11 oz (310 g).
  • The inside looks a lot like an egg white, yolk and small embryo forming in the center.  The "egg white" varies from about 0.5 - 1 in (1.25 - 2.5 cm) thick, the "egg yolk" is 2.125 +/- 0.125 in (5.4 +/- 0.3 cm) in diameter and the "embryo" is about 0.25 x 0.125 in (6 x 3 mm). The "egg white" feels slightly rough like concrete and the "egg yolk" and "embryo" feels very smooth like fired, glazed ceramic or obsidian.
  • On the outside, there are 4 scratches that appear to be from something with a claw that had 3 small and 1 larger nail. The scratch from the large nail is about 0.06 in (2mm) deep. There also appears to be a claw or tooth shaped object embedded in the "egg white". It is cone shaped about 0.5 in (1.25 cm) long and the top is oval shaped measuring about 0.5 x 0.375 in (1.25 x 1 cm). By the 3 small nails, it almost appears as if something pierced into the "egg yolk" and left a mark seen in the pictures above that is about 1.25 x 0.25 in (3 x 0.6 cm) in length and width. The outside feels like the "egg white" but a bit more smooth like concrete that has been walked on for years.

Thanks for your time!

• Mordekainen changed the title to Dinosaur egg?

It's a concretion. I don't know what's the "embryo" in the center is,  but it kind of looks like a fossil tooth. A lot of time concretion forms around a piece of something organic during the process of fossilization. Here's a great guideline how to tell apart between a dinosaur egg and concretion. 

Sorry not an egg but a  Concretion.  Missing thin eggshell and dino eggs are not found in this area.  They are pretty rare.

Screenshot_20200421-132454_Chrome.jpg.69a7c6d03bd2e9d0199b7cd7de836d8d.jpgScreenshot_20200421-132436_Chrome.jpg.b88e7fc76d902be47b644dea2559f662.jpg

Screenshot_20200421-132422_Chrome.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

We really prefer images to be uploaded to the forum for archival purposes. These posts remain as part of the forum long after your question has been answered but quite often the links where these external images have been posted do not stand the test of time. A post without the corresponding images are of little use to those reading this post in the future. I've downloaded your images and will attach them here (with your comments) to assist:

Inside 1-3

MzO0tfG.jpg     N6r4nB3.jpg     Z4eZirq.jpg

Outside 1-3

LGeWyyy.jpg     siAQiE1.jpg     rWJkKbY.jpg

Tooth or claw?

tfZyiAN.jpg

"Embryo"

U5fExcT.jpg

Pierce mark into yolk - angle 1-3

8X6A7O3.jpg    o7VBpmF.jpg    fyFHeF8.jpg

It's an interesting rock and I can see why you picked it up. Sorry to break it to you but it is not a fossilized egg (dinosaur or otherwise). There are many concretions and other rock formations that result in rounded rocks and the "yolk" which is of a different texture is either an inclusion in some sort of a conglomerate rock or developed by some other geologic process. We have some members on the forum (@CBchiefski) who are very good at identifying fossilized eggs and one has some great guides to show you what real fossilized eggs look like.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/92370-think-you-found-an-egg-read-this-first-dinosaur-egg-guide-basic/

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/92371-advanced-dinosaur-egg-guide/

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

@Mordekainen only one topic on the same item is needed.  (Topics merged)  ;) 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ