flemgunner

Areas around San Antonio/Uvalde or to tag along on hunting trips

flemgunner

Hey yall, Im currently living on a ranch near Uvalde TX and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this area. Looking to go out on trips with like minded folks to see what can be found in the surrounding are. To sweeten the deal the first trip would be to the ranch Im on were we have a pretty nice Acro trackway! 

Uncle Siphuncle

Do you know what formation you are in?  I’ve hunted out that way a bit from time to time, and in between.  Private access is often the best bet out that way as most of the land is tied up in private ranches.

flemgunner

I dont unfortunately, the ranch Im on is 18000 acres so there is a ton of area. It the Ox ranch for reference. I have found some fossils in one location but beyond that Im not sure what Im looking for geology wise  

Mike C

I'm new to all this and just joined.  Not sure if I'd be that helpful, but I'd sure like to go.

Uncle Siphuncle
On 4/22/2020 at 2:36 PM, flemgunner said:

I dont unfortunately, the ranch Im on is 18000 acres so there is a ton of area. It the Ox ranch for reference. I have found some fossils in one location but beyond that Im not sure what Im looking for geology wise  

Ah yes, the Ox Ranch.  I took my son there 3 years ago to shoot machine guns for his 15th birthday.  We enjoyed most ripping open a minivan with the mounted .50 BMG.

I took a look at the geomap to place the ranch in a geological context.  The lower elevations are Glen Rose formation, the ascending the hills from oldest to youngest, you might bump into West Nueces, McNight and Salmon Peak formations.  I personally would concentrate on the hills to hit the McNight and Salmon Peak in hope of finding ammonites in the Oxytropidoceras through Mortoniceras progression (a Google search of "Dr. Burt Beds" might shed some add'l insight into your local ammonite zones) and possibly echinoids. 

I personally would be most interested in the Salmon Peak as it is essentially equivalent to the Upper Albian exposures of North Texas and Georgetown Fm of Central Texas (should include equivalents to the Duck Creek-Fort Worth-Denton-Weno-Mainstreet progression, or portions thereof).  This sequence is well known for abundant ammonites, echinoids and other stuff, and if it is present in North, Central, and West Texas, it is probably worth a look in your area as well, where these fossils are not as highly publicized.  Of course there is also the chance that zones pinch out in certain areas, and that could explain the lack of fanfare in your area...but it is still worth a hard look with some knowledge of local stratigraphy to help divide and conquer the terrain.

Off topic, I'm also interested in harvesting an axis doe for the freezer...will PM you for off-season rates.

Uncle Siphuncle
On 4/22/2020 at 1:22 PM, flemgunner said:

Hey yall, Im currently living on a ranch near Uvalde TX and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this area. Looking to go out on trips with like minded folks to see what can be found in the surrounding are. To sweeten the deal the first trip would be to the ranch Im on were we have a pretty nice Acro trackway! 

FYI, if you have a dino trackway on the property, and it is in a low lying area, that would confer favorably with the Glen Rose Formation, well known for dino tracks in ancient tidal flats, adding a high degree of plausibility to your assertion.

flemgunner

Ahh cool man thank you

TechTester

Widespread exogyra costata exposure about a half mile southeast of Randolph Air Force Base in the new housing development area called Crossvines, mostly along Woman Hollering Creek dirt on both sides.

IMG_20191019_201032.jpg

TechTester

IMG_20191011_213634.jpg

IMG_20191011_213452.jpg

TechTester

Screenshot_20200505-143425.jpg

TechTester

Screenshot_20200505-143503.jpg

TechTester

Screenshot_20200505-143839.jpg

TechTester

Screenshot_20200505-143629.jpg

TechTester

IMG_20191019_144559.jpg

TechTester

IMG_20191019_150343.jpg

TechTester

IMG_20191019_144815_Bokeh.jpg

TechTester

IMG_20191012_182215.jpg

TechTester

15887093769184990902905194459917.jpg

JohnJ

@TechTester

Please do not post maps of locations that you do not own or have authority to permit others to hunt.  Thanks for your help.  ;)  

flemgunner

Cool, thanks man