Merychippus? Horse tooth from Peace River, Fl

FemurIHKH

I'm trying to ID this horse tooth from Peace River, Florida. Looks like a subhypsodont. My best guess is Merychippus, but please let me know what you think.

IMG_1982.thumb.jpg.254568f637f35d8aa5b6e278d6e9eba8.jpgIMG_1984.thumb.jpg.42b7aef349df907b507ff3a8121401f6.jpgIMG_1980.thumb.jpg.8a05516adce1d84218ce8277197aa579.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

Looks like bison to me as it appears to be a selenodont tooth based on on the chewing surface along with an apparent stylid.

• I found this Informative 2

4 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

Looks like bison to me as it appears to be a selenodont tooth based on on the chewing surface along with an apparent stylid.

Yeah, bison. 

Merychippus teeth are a lot smaller than that anyway.  I don't think there's a layer old enough for Merychippus in the Peace.  Merychippus was an Early-Middle to Middle Miocene horse.  There are spots in Florida for it, though.  I think you could find it in the lowest Bone Valley layers and maybe one of the phosphate mines up north.

13 hours ago, siteseer said:

Yeah, bison.

Merychippus teeth are a lot smaller than that anyway.  I don't think there's a layer old enough for Merychippus in the Peace.  Merychippus was an Early-Middle to Middle Miocene horse.  There are spots in Florida for it, though.  I think you could find it in the lowest Bone Valley layers and maybe one of the phosphate mines up north.

@FemurIHKH

I likely have found more small pre_equus horse teeth in the Peace River than anyone else over the last decade.  I can confirm Siteseer's Statement because I have never found a Merychippus tooth in the Peace River.

I did recently find a Transitional tooth, that is possibly a grand child of Merychippus (that means millions and millions of years between them). You can read about it in this thread.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"