FossilNerd

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have any idea what this bivalve steinkern may be? It was found in the Upper Ordovician (drakes formation) of Kentucky. 

Brachiopods are overly abundant in many of the areas that I hunt, but bivalves seem to be scarce, or I am too used to seeing brachs to pick out the bivalves. :unsure:

Anyway, this is the one and only bivalve that I have found, besides a few possible fragments. I know it can be near impossible to identify any steinkern, but does the shape, size, or provenance give anyone an idea as to what this may be? It just looks so lonely on my shelf; I feel like if at least needs a name. 

EDIT: I should note that I have looked in the literature that I have (which is limited on bivalves) and can not find anything that I am confident in to use as an ID. My internet searching has not come up with a good ID either.

If I can provide better pictures or different angles don’t hesitate to ask! 

EC668E8E-6F10-4C3B-B749-BB7779683AF6.thumb.jpeg.590cf52f0550fcf8c827f03bf8b289e7.jpeg

D8C28FA1-BEA8-4F00-8173-ACF6A2798554.thumb.jpeg.fc2fc0457cdb5ce8f52f031be26a079d.jpeg

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Sure! It’s hard to get this thing focused like I want to, but here are a few more pictures. Hope it helps!  There is still a small amount of valve stuck to the beak area, but it is so weathered and beaten up that it’s not much to go on. You can barely tell it is shell. Scale is in centimeters.

7AC94B53-4610-4D56-9C8C-94B5D9CBB59C.thumb.jpeg.b3029b1d3cf58a70c919948dcc20dac3.jpeg

9D8355DF-C719-451B-BEBC-D5BA6AC1950F.thumb.jpeg.493b5d93601ef176d2727c7f4a423cde.jpeg

BE7DA1B6-D2E6-40F6-A48A-5FD49F6F7ADE.thumb.jpeg.d5bb202b03a9681293323d7a70316fde.jpeg

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Looks like a Silurian Pentamerid to me

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

On 4/25/2020 at 12:28 PM, Herb said:

Looks like a Silurian Pentamerid to me

Thanks Herb for the suggestion. It was found in the Ordovician, but maybe Pentamerids are found during that time period as well as the Silurian, or maybe something similar is found then. Hmmm. :zzzzscratchchin:

As good a starting point as any. I’ll do some digging in the literature. Thanks again!