Sumi e Trilobite.

jnicholes

Drew this today. Would like to show you all. Used the Japanese Sumi e technique. It's a trilobite.

What do you think?

Jared

Screenshot_20200424-124302.png

• I found this Informative 1

Hmm did you have a specific species of trilobite in mind when you made this? The problem is trilobites have a plethora of very small and crisp detail which may be very difficult to capture with this art style. 

I think the Sumi e really complements the nature of fossilized fish, I'd love to see you try a mioplosus or a lycoptera. I would also recommend you challenge yourself to go slow and pay attention to detail, I think some fine brush strokes to capture more detail and the addition of more complex shading could really enhance your art. 

That being said I do not know much about Sumi e or how it should be. I have, however, recently picked up drawing and I usually spend between 6 and 10 hours on any one drawing and most of those still contain less detail than I'd necessarily like. 

I hope this helped some and you keep up the good work! :thumbsu:

that actually did help. Thank you so much!

I actually didn't have a species in mind. I was just experimenting. I think I'll stick the fossil fish, though. Maybe I'll try out a Mioplosus labracoides like you said.

Jared

• I found this Informative 1