BudB

I headed out to the North Sulfur River yesterday morning.  It was a beautiful day, and as always, there was some good stuff to be found.

nsr00401.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

I always have a hard time stepping away from Baculite fragments where I can clearly see sutures, so of course I picked up a few.

nsr00402.jpg

I usually spend some close to the ground time and pick up some small stuff, but I hiked so far and spent so much time on my feet looking for bigger stuff, there wasn't much small stuff in the bag, just a Hamulus fragment, a cow tooth to add to the set, and a shiny little Gastropod.

nsr00404.jpg

This Ammonite is in pretty rough shape, and the center was so full of mud that I almost didn't recognize it. But, with some cleaning, the distinctive shape is there, and if you zoom in, you can make out the sutures. I always love finding an Ammonite, even if it's not the nicest specimen.

nsr00406.jpg

And Mosasaur had a presence yesterday. The small bone looks like a rib, and I'm not sure about the large one. And there's the vert.

nsr00407.jpg

I couldn't find any teeth in the larger bone, but there's some kind of feature on the lower edge. Anyone know where it fits on the creature?

nsr00408.jpg

And finally, I can't take credit for finding this vert. It was found by a fellow forum and DPS member who I believe said his name is Morrison. He is obviously very knowledgeable about fossils and the NSR. He was looking fairly nearby when he found it, and since I'd never seen a vert in real life, I asked for a closer look. He laid it on a rock and I went over and picked it up. I suspect that, by the time I had finished fondling it, he realized he didn't have his hand sanitizer with him, and just decided to give it to me rather than reclaim it. Thanks, man!

nsr00409.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, BudB said:

This Echinoid is just as pretty as a picture.

nsr00405.jpg

Are you sure it’s a sea urchin ? Apart from its round shape which could correspond to a regular sea urchin, I see no clue (ambulacra, interambulacra plates, gonopores, apical plates etc...) that allows to say it.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

It's the second one I've found, and both of them look pretty much exactly like the one in the photo in the Texas Fossils of the North Sulfur River book. I'm not sure I can legally share that photo here.

@BudB 

@Coco and @jpc are right, your piece doesn't readily exhibit the characteristics of an echinoid.  It's fine to show the photo in the book as long as you properly credit it.  More importantly, a better photo of your find might help with an identification.  

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

After going back and double checking, perhaps you are right. Here is the photo from Texas Fossils of the North Sulfur River, and the two pieces I have.

echinoid.jpg

nsr00410.jpg