Found in garden of abandoned mansion

Pieter

Hi,

We hired a mansion that was abandoned for several years and strolling through the gardens I saw what I thought was a small concrete chair, hidden under leafs and bushes. I did not give it a second thought until the next day when I looked at it again and recognized it as a vertebrae, a big vertebrae. Upon giving it a closer look I saw that it was not concrete but more likely bone. And then I figured it could be a dinosaur bone, hence coming here and asking your opinion.

Full width is about 60 cm, see pictures below.

Thanks in advance.

Best, Pieter

dino 1.jpg

dino 2.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Wow, that is a crazy thing to find in the garden!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

That would make an awesome chair!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

It's the cat's meow. I wonder what the story is behind that vertebra, resting peacefully now in the garden. Did the mansion, in its heyday, boast of maritime discoveries? It's surely a conversation starter.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

The mansion was build in the 1800s by the mayor of the village and was then bought in 1909 by a family of dentists. Around 2015 the mansion was abandoned.

Picture from 1936 and the other just now.

unnamed.jpg

pand 26 april (1).jpg

Edited by Pieter
  • I found this Informative 7

Really interesting thread and love the  vertebra seating . I really like seen old photos of places.

cheers Bobby 

• I found this Informative 1

Sea captains and mansions are often associated. They were the overpaid CEOs of the day. 

• I found this Informative 2

Now that’s a chair!  Wonder if I could convince my wife to let me replace the dinning room table chairs with whale verts... :zzzzscratchchin:

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Now we know why Captain Ahab was so insanely driven , he wanted some new vertebra patio furniture, so in the summertime he could rest his leg in comfort. :)

• I found this Informative 2

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately difficult to say what type of whale! This is probably the very last lumbar vertebra in the series, owing to the single "hypapophysis" on the bottom (ventral) side of the body of the vertebra.

1 hour ago, Pieter said:

Any tips on how to clean it?

Bleach might help kill off the lichen that has taken residence on this impressive piece. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer