Picking the Right Air Tool (UK)

BentonlWalters

Hello everyone,

I am relatively new to fossil preparation and up until last week have been using an electric engraver to prep some of my collection, but it overheated and died on me so I am looking into upgrading to a proper air scribe. I was hoping some of you who work with UK tools might be able/willing to give me some advice on picking a tool. I have heard very good things about both Zoic pens and the Ken Mannion TT but I'm curious to know what the difference between them is from a use standpoint since one uses pusher plate internals and the other a piston (I think).

A little background into the sort of thing that's in my collection that I'd like to prep. Most of my collection comes from the Whitby area, so hard pyritised ammonite nodules (the photo is a D. commune I was working on when the engraver died). I also have Rhaetian bone material from Aust and some small concretions, probably C. clalamensis from the last time I was back in Washington. I will post a few pictures of the ones I'm looking to work on next below as comments.

Any and all advice you can give me is greatly appreciate. I'm looking forward to getting some things shelf ready while I can't go out and hunt for more.

Thank you,

Benton Walters

D. commune (Front.jpg

This one is a section of a big Phylloceras, lots of matrix to remove as well as some calcite veining and pyrite against the surface of the ammonite itself. 

Large Phylo.jpg

One of the little shrimp concretions, with what looks like a claw eroding out the one end. 

C. Clalamensis Claw Concretion.jpg

I think the Aust bone may be a coprolite. I would leave the Aust one as it is because Aust material seems to shatter easily.

Hi mate. Either company is quality. Iv used Ken’s pens for years and have barely had an issue. His customer service is excellent, services and everything. The zoic guys are excellent also. Had the chance to use some of there stuff in Dorset and they’re brilliant, and definitely offer a bigger range of things, though are a bit expensive. Remember you’ll need compressors etc, dust extraction. You ever want something nice prepping that you don’t dare do, let me know. Also, start with dacs haha. Do not touch your face stuff yet!