Found in Ploughed field

CotswoldJane

Found in ploughed field. In sand stone. Easily smashed off. Other shells pictured in stone. Really unsure what it is as live the furthest away from sea as anywhere can in UK....

D8D2BAEC-EDD0-4549-9F61-216C60F4EB6A.jpeg

4225AF30-94EF-4278-987F-F75A2A7CFE08.jpeg

7E10069D-3362-439D-9FD8-41A7B989BC45.jpeg

B9EEFDD0-F1E2-4CF8-B8C8-20BDA3EE8456.jpeg

728DAD43-4C25-4DB1-A13C-B13B61435C4E.jpeg

94FE6998-0EA6-4EF0-B1F0-2E9F268D0496.jpeg

C467B1AD-36F3-46B9-8A05-BC09A6B27DF2.jpeg

Cool find, especially when you don't expect! Is the soil deep ( may have been brought up during cultivation)?

Sharp eyes!

Anita

Welcome to the forum! It's a brachiopod, probably from the Middle Jurassic period which is what a lot of the bedrock is around there. Maybe Ornithella sp. 

@Tidgy's Dad may know better. :)

Roughly 165 - 170 million years old. As for being far from the sea - all of the country has been repeatedly under the sea over geological time and these rocks are formed from limy sediment during one such period.

• I found this Informative 5

Tarquin

22 minutes ago, Roweness said:

Cool find, especially when you don't expect! Is the soil deep ( may have been brought up during cultivation)?

Sharp eyes!

Anita

Thanks for reply.  The field has not long been cultivated (Ploughed).  It has an old footpath through it hence why we can walk through.  Its lovely county side.

30 minutes ago, TqB said:

Welcome to the forum! It's a brachiopod, probably from the Middle Jurassic period which is what a lot of the bedrock is around there. Maybe Ornithella sp. 

@Tidgy's Dad may know better. :)

Roughly 165 - 170 million years old. As for being far from the sea - all of the country has been repeatedly under the sea over geological time and these rocks are formed from limy sediment during one such period.

How exciting! that old! I was walking alone with my head down because the sun was shining right at me..... I shall do it again tomorrow whilst walking the dog.  As you know we aren't allowed out more than once a day. Stay safe 

Hi, Jane, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco.:)

I'm originally from Somerset and spent many a happy time collecting around the Cotswolds. 

Can't do better than Ortnithella as Tarquin @TqBsuggests, certainly a nice Middle Jurassic terebratulid. 

Stay safe,

Adam. 

• I found this Informative 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hi, Jane, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco.:)

I'm originally from Somerset and spent many a happy time collecting around the Cotswolds. 

Can't do better than Ortnithella as Tarquin @TqBsuggests, certainly a nice Middle Jurassic terebratulid. 

Stay safe,

Adam. 

Thank you for replying. I love my find. To hold something that old is just too much to comprehend though 

HI Jane, my best hunting ground is Eocene (~50 Million Y.A.) and is a few hours drive from us. Can't quite go for our annual holiday this year and spend multi days camping, exploring for fossils, just enjoying the wild nature and forests in the British Columbia, Canada mountainous area, sigh ... 

Take care and keep the dreams alive!

Anita

ElseBlkMn.jpg.5991be39db7c06c8805fe11471e7c2de.jpg

Else is resting from all the ground squirrel chasing down below, she is not too interested in rock hounding! (No ground squirrels were harmed in this trip, Else isn't very fast)

• I found this Informative 1

I went back to the field and walked head down again today and found another one...twice the size..I can't get it out of the stone this time though so my son has placed it in the garden in our now newly named "Jurassic Area" :-)  

How do I remove them from the stone?  or just leave them if difficult.

2 hours ago, Roweness said:

HI Jane, my best hunting ground is Eocene (~50 Million Y.A.) and is a few hours drive from us. Can't quite go for our annual holiday this year and spend multi days camping, exploring for fossils, just enjoying the wild nature and forests in the British Columbia, Canada mountainous area, sigh ... 

Take care and keep the dreams alive!

Anita

ElseBlkMn.jpg.5991be39db7c06c8805fe11471e7c2de.jpg

Else is resting from all the ground squirrel chasing down below, she is not too interested in rock hounding! (No ground squirrels were harmed in this trip, Else isn't very fast)

Love this!! Collies are so lovely and smart dogs.  I have a Miniature Schnauzer and she was highly disinterested in my stopping and looking at the ground today.    That area looks stunning.  I would very much love to visit Canada one day.  My son thinks he will move there, we have no connection what so ever he has just always loved everything he reads about Canada.. 

If you ever make it out to the West coast, let us know!

This site is near Princeton B.C. ( not the USA Princeton).

Quite a small town, but numerous wonderous fossil sites! Look for posts on Fossil Forum regarding this area, may just influence a travel plan ( when, of course, that is again possible!)

Best to you!

Anita

14 hours ago, Roweness said:

If you ever make it out to the West coast, let us know!

This site is near Princeton B.C. ( not the USA Princeton).

Quite a small town, but numerous wonderous fossil sites! Look for posts on Fossil Forum regarding this area, may just influence a travel plan ( when, of course, that is again possible!)

Best to you!

Anita

Thank you!!

Stay safe

Jane