How do I Begin Collecting?

Megalodoodle

I’ve already bought a few specimens, but I haven’t really collected fossils personally. What do I collect first? Where to collect? What to look for? How do I identify a promising collecting spot? I want to collect fossils without having to travel beyond my state, Virginia, (obviously due to ‘rona.) Obviously this may not be the best time to leave the house, but I want to at least be prepared for when we are released from quarantine! Already have a the basic collecting tools I just need to know how to use them (any specific techniques, or is it basically the same as when your mineral collecting?)

Check out your area for a Rockhound Club and go to your nearest Natural Science Museum to learn about what can be found in your state and where.

• I found this Informative 8

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

The Hunting Trips section of the Forum has years of adventures to help you see what excites your interest.  Use the search function to narrow your results for Virginia.  

• I found this Informative 7

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

when I first started, I googled what I was most interested in finding and where can I find them in my area. That should give you popular sites near you.  That would be a good/easy start. Then you can expand from there. Good luck. 

• I found this Informative 3

Don't forget to familiarize yourself with the federal, state, and local laws. We don't want you to get in trouble if caught collecting illegally! Collecting fossils, rocks, minerals, plants, any animal parts, live animals, etc. in the national parks is a big no-no. If you're just surface collecting, you only need at minimum your eyes, your hands, and a bucket, no additional tools required. That's how I started and been doing it for years before I "upgraded" to a rock hammer and rock pick. I assume you live in Crozet, VA? In the Appalachian mountains, there should be plenty of fossils laying around, especially by the streams and road cuts. Go find the nearest stream with public access, road cut, or reservoir and look for fossils. Again, make you sure you know the state and local laws on collecting fossils from the public accessible streams and road cuts. Make sure you understand how private properties are applied to the streams. In some states, all or most streams are accessible to the public and in some states, virtually all streams are part of the private properties. Here in Kansas, only the Arkansas river, Missouri river, and Kansas river are navigable streams: that mean people can swim, boating, or walking on the bank and sandbars in its entire stretch of the stream. The rest of the streams in KS are part of private properties except these that goes through public parks.

Cheers and good luck with the fossil hunt!

On 25.4.2020 at 11:49 PM, T. nepaeolicus said:

I’ve already bought a few specimens, but I haven’t really collected fossils personally. What do I collect first? Where to collect? What to look for? How do I identify a promising collecting spot? I want to collect fossils without having to travel beyond my state, Virginia, (obviously due to ‘rona.) Obviously this may not be the best time to leave the house, but I want to at least be prepared for when we are released from quarantine! Already have a the basic collecting tools I just need to know how to use them (any specific techniques, or is it basically the same as when your mineral collecting?)

Are you paying attention?

1 hour ago, Darbi said:

Is it directed to me?

No. I was just wondering if the OP would like to show some kind of reaction to the effort we are making for him here.

Should go without saying but if you’re new to collecting and you’re in an area where excavating fossils is permitted, don’t do it for a while until you’ve researched the proper way to do it without ruining the fossil. Some fossils are unbelievably delicate. Best of luck. (Also if you find fossils in a certain area, keep searching that area like crazy. Generally if you find stuff you’ll find more stuff nearby)