CSimpson176

Hello all,

I found this nautiloid fragment in the Kope Formation out of the Cincinnatian series in Northern Kentucky. Suspecting this to either be an Endocerid due to the size or perhaps even a coiled nauitoid due to the curvature in the camerae towards the end with the siphuncle sticking out and the general shape of the specimen, unfortunately not preserving detail towards the other end. I was thinking it could be Characteroceras due to them being found in the Kope, but it seems to be too big. Seems like this guy died, sank to the bottom and preserved the side that planted in the Ordovician mud, interesting that you can still see the outline of the siphuncle on that end. Curious as to what you all think, I just don't know what to put it in as for my database. Thanks you all!

thumbnail_5889EE74-A424-489D-85C7-A8D28299BED4.jpg

I think it will be a serious challenge to ever even get to genera with that fragment.  Here is a link to a list of Cincinnatian cephalopods. It's a big list with many from the Kope.  

http://strata.uga.edu/cincy/fauna/cephalopoda/cephalopoda.html

If you can find a copy of Flower's 1946 publication you can maybe work thru the possibilities.

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

no clue

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

42 minutes ago, erose said:

I think it will be a serious challenge to ever even get to genera with that fragment.  Here is a link to a list of Cincinnatian cephalopods. It's a big list with many from the Kope.  

http://strata.uga.edu/cincy/fauna/cephalopoda/cephalopoda.html

If you can find a copy of Flower's 1946 publication you can maybe work thru the possibilities.

Definitely will take a gander! Thanks!

I think the most recent treatment of the Cincinnatian cephalopods is this 1995 paper by Robert Frey.  That being said, I think the specimen is too fragmentary and distorted to be confidently IDed.  Sorry.

Don

• I found this Informative 2