Please help ID this weird stream-find.

LeviBess

Hello everyone,

Does anybody know what this might be? Found in a stream in the forest in the region of calvados, Normandy,France.

I have never found anything like this.

U cant really see the details of the thing sticking out of the spongelike matrix in the pics cause my camera is not the best. But here we go: 

20200426_212440.jpg

20200426_212814.jpg

20200426_212340.jpg

20200426_212654.jpg

7 hours ago, RuMert said:

Gastropod steinkern?

Thanks for your answer but i really dont think so, just took some new pics with daylight so details come out better..

20200428_084756.jpg

20200428_084728.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Right hand object on the second row looks like something I found that was identified as ”spiriferid brachiopods”

7A807995-2975-4763-B6E6-EAAF4B5CCF1C.jpeg

1 hour ago, dhiggi said:

Right hand object on the second row looks like something I found that was identified as ”spiriferid brachiopods”

7A807995-2975-4763-B6E6-EAAF4B5CCF1C.jpeg

Yes that looks similar, thank you. 

Any thoughts on my weird find?

Maybe you should first clean up your wierd find and make some better higher resolution photos. You can't see much in the way of detail in these ones.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

20 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Maybe you should first clean up your wierd find and make some better higher resolution photos. You can't see much in the way of detail in these ones.

Yes you are right I tried to soak them in water over night and I have brushed them whit a vinegarsolution but the algae and other dirt dont seem to come off. Any ideas how to prep? 

Anyway I wouldn't count on it being something incredible. Practice shows most good finds are recognised instantly at least roughly and 99% of hardly recognisable finds are worn fragments of common fossils or geological objects

7 minutes ago, RuMert said:

Anyway I wouldn't count on it being something incredible. Practice shows most good finds are recognised instantly at least roughly and 99% of hardly recognisable finds are worn fragments of common fossils or geological objects

I don't think of it being something incredible lol, it's just in this area I have collected a lot of pieces but never seen anything like this was just really curious about what it was and turned to this forum...

Sorry, I missed out on the second set of photos. There is a slim chance that your wierd find might be a partial ammonite steinkern, but I can't say anything more to it than that.

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Sorry, I missed out on the second set of photos. There is a slim chance that your wierd find might be a partial ammonite steinkern, but I can't say anything more to it than that.

Thank you for the answer, im gonna look that up. To me it looks like some kind of larva or slug..but I dont know how common it is to find that and it not being just the imprint?

2 hours ago, krabbhus said:

Thank you for the answer, im gonna look that up. To me it looks like some kind of larva or slug..but I dont know how common it is to find that and it not being just the imprint?

Larvae and slugs are amongst the most rare fossils altogether and are only preserved under extra special circumstances, so you can forget that idea.

27 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Larvae and slugs are amongst the most rare fossils altogether and are only preserved under extra special circumstances, so you can forget that idea.

Haha ok had no idea, guess not then.

This is the area I found it, it's a several km long stream in a hill leading towards the atlantique coast. Not a known site but its what I can manage to access at the moment with the lockdown..until the falaises and coastside reopens the 2nd of June hopefully.

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

14 hours ago, krabbhus said:

20200428_084756.jpg

22 hours ago, RuMert said:

Gastropod steinkern?

Man you took the words right out of my mouth.

Pretty Creek. I’d like to see the reptiles and amphibians that inhabit it, if you ever get the chance to snap a photo of one.

9 hours ago, Spoons said:

Man you took the words right out of my mouth.

Pretty Creek. I’d like to see the reptiles and amphibians that inhabit it, if you ever get the chance to snap a photo of one.

haha, yes it does not look like much in this pic but the left side is actually very high maybe 2 meters of clay deposits under the vegetation, which is mostly hanging over and not actually covering it.

Since the whole region used to be underwater whit places like roches noires and falaises de vaches noires near by (where I actually found a marine reptile tooth) it might not be such a bad place after all...

and the huge wild boars in the area are just as scary as any prehistoric beast..