Taking the next step in my paleontology/earth science studies :)

The Amateur Paleontologist

Hey TFF

Hope you're all doing well :) Posting here to share some bit of good news in these strange times..

Since 2011-2012, I've been really passionate about paleontology - it's just so fascinating how we can piece together our past and the past of all life on Earth... Unfortunately, paleontology isn't exactly something taught in middle school and high school, so over the past few years I'd mostly been self-teaching this science (of course with the help of this great Forum :) ). 

But here's the thing: a while ago, I finished my end-of-high school exams, where I got rather good results. Around that time, I'd applied for several undergraduate courses in geology, all in UK universities (Bristol, University College London, Leeds, Royal Holloway).

Now I've finally heard from most of the universities I'd applied to... And University College London, my top choice, has just given me a firm offer to take an Earth Science undergraduate course, starting in September :D :D

I'm so happy! I'll finally be able take the next step in my geology and paleontology studies - and what better place to do that, than London, a place with a great museum, leading paleontology experts, and not too far from some neat fossil sites!

I'm really thrilled about this!!

5ea7511e14a0d_ScreenShot2020-04-27at23_36_35.png.fdc1371e339342e3f5732360cdaf45fe.png

• I found this Informative 25

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Congratulations! I am truly happy for you!:yay-smiley-1:

• I found this Informative 2

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

That is wonderful my young friend.  I wish you all the best as you take the first steps in an exciting, enthralling career.  :default_clap2:

• I found this Informative 1

Well done, and congratulations!  :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Congratulations, Christian.  :SlapHands:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Awesome! Congratulations! :thumbsu:

:yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

That is excellent news.  How wonderful to have the chance to pursue your passion!

Just a note of caution: I'm pretty sure they don't give Nobel Prizes in Paleontology.  But don't let that deter you!

Don

Congratulations, Christian, old chap.Congratulations.gif.45c82f5430e65f127929e25dd31fe7a7.gif

A real achievement to get a place at UCL, I'm sure you'll make the most of it and enjoy it too. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Congratulations on entering this new chapter in your life. Enjoy the journey.

Congratulations-Well-Deserved.gif.018db260eebaeadd02eab56898551267.gif

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

@Darktooth @grandpa @Fossildude19 @connorp @JohnJ @FossilNerd @thelivingdead531 @Peat Burns @EscarpmentMary @RuMert @FossilDAWG @Tidgy's Dad @Troodon @Pagurus @Darbi

Thank you all for your encouragement  and kind words! I'm really excited for this, and will definitely post here about the stuff I do and learn once in London. :)

• I found this Informative 4

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Congratulations ! And England will be a very rich experience beyond your training.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

A huge congratulations to you!!!  This is indeed exciting and happy news - thanks for sharing it with all of us! :yay-smiley-1:

What a wonderful stage of life to be in. ENJOY the experience!!!!!!!!!! 

Mike

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!   :thumbsu:

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

Congratulations!!! 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Well done!

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!