CONSOLIDANTS & ADHESIVES - PDF Papers

TOM BUCKLEY

READ ME FIRST.

Every once in a while the topic of consolidants and adhesives comes up. I've attached some information that has helped me in the past.
The first is a publication put out y the Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections.

The next is a discussion of consolidants and adhesives put out by Florida Museum Of Natural History.
The final document is a study I did on consolidants about 15 years ago.

To this day my favorite adhesive is a combination of Paraloid B 72 and acetone at various concentrations. I like this because it is reversible in acetone. If I have an immediate need in the field I prefer superglue. My favorite consolidant continues to be Elmer's glue all (poly vinyl acetate emulsion) diluted to 5 to 10% in water.

I hope this information proves useful.

Tom

C104282020.pdf

C204282020.pdf

C304282020.pdf

• I found this Informative 3

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

CONTINUED SOME MORE.

C704282020.pdf

• I found this Informative 1

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"A note on PALEO BOND. As far as their cyanoacrylate adhesives go .... they can't be beat for repairs in the field or at home. I'm confident, that if used as intended, on porous bone for example, their penetrants and stabilizers will perform admirably as well. "

I will add that while this may be true, they are very time consuming and stubborn to remove.  If you don't get the perfect fit in the field, What a pain in the patootie.  I do not allow cyanoacrylates to be used in the field on our museum trips.  Although I use them a lot in the lab.  I am a fan of Vinac (McGean B-15, although I am not sure who makes it now) for field consolidation.     

• I found this Informative 2

13 minutes ago, jpc said:

"A note on PALEO BOND. As far as their cyanoacrylate adhesives go .... they can't be beat for repairs in the field or at home. I'm confident, that if used as intended, on porous bone for example, their penetrants and stabilizers will perform admirably as well. "

I will add that while this may be true, they are very time consuming and stubborn to remove.  If you don't get the perfect fit in the field, What a pain in the patootie.  I do not allow cyanoacrylates to be used in the field on our museum trips.  Although I use them a lot in the lab.  I am a fan of Vinac (McGean B-15, although I am not sure who makes it now) for field consolidation.     

But sometimes you have no choice but to use a Super Glue in the field for instant repairs. I agree, however, I'd much rather hod off on any repair until I'm home and can use B-72.

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

Topics Merged.

One post is easier to keep track of. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

36 minutes ago, jpc said:

I will add that while this may be true, they are very time consuming and stubborn to remove.  If you don't get the perfect fit in the field, What a pain in the patootie.

I have not had the apparent misfortune of having to remove it from a specimen yet. Does it not reverse well in acetone?

2 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Topics Merged.

One post is easier to keep track of. ;) 

Thanks Tim. I was hoping that one of the Moderators would do that. I had to do 3 posts because I exceeded the allowed megapixels

Tom.

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

4 minutes ago, connorp said:

I have not had the apparent misfortune of having to remove it from a specimen yet. Does it not reverse well in acetone?

Not at all. Super glues are not removed in acetone. Paleo Bond has a couple of products that will kinda do it.

Tom

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

• Fossildude19 changed the title to CONSOLIDANTS & ADHESIVES - PDF Papers
3 hours ago, jpc said:

Vinac has long been a favorite of mine for the field.  I'll admit to being a PALEO BOND fanboy though

I think the larger problem with field glue has more to do with the person using it than product.  I think it can be partially blamed on training, it would be fantastic if there was a common field course we could all adopt.  But I also think that some people's enthusiasm for over-gluing is a byproduct of not having to deal with the consequence in the lab.

12 minutes ago, ParkerPaleo said:

I think the larger problem with field glue has more to do with the person using it than product.  I think it can be partially blamed on training, it would be fantastic if there was a common field course we could all adopt.  But I also think that some people's enthusiasm for over-gluing is a byproduct of not having to deal with the consequence in the lab.

Excellent point.

I know that, when using cyanoacrylate in the field, less is more.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

58 minutes ago, ParkerPaleo said:

But I also think that some people's enthusiasm for over-gluing is a byproduct of not having to deal with the consequence in the lab.

yes, indeed.  Our Torosaurus skull was collected by a geology professor slash White River collector that I am sure you know, who uses cyano in the field.  How many times we cussed him out while preparing the snarge thing.  

5 hours ago, connorp said:

Acetone will soften CA very temporarily which can be enough to separate section for lab prep, but it makes it like rubber cement and just as difficult to clean off. Its like glue snot. Then as soon as the acetone evaporates you have rock-hard CA again.  Well glued bone breaks can be relatively easy to separate and clean, the big problem is when it all over the surface.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

1 hour ago, hadrosauridae said:

Acetone will soften CA very temporarily which can be enough to separate section for lab prep, but it makes it like rubber cement and just as difficult to clean off. Its like glue snot. Then as soon as the acetone evaporates you have rock-hard CA again.  Well glued bone breaks can be relatively easy to separate and clean, the big problem is when it all over the surface.

I don't think that acetone will soften cured cyanoacrylate. At least not in my experience. There are some very very nasty solvents that will soften cyanoacrylate if it is not fully cured. Acetone is not one of them.

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

56 minutes ago, TOM BUCKLEY said:

I don't think that acetone will soften cured cyanoacrylate. At least not in my experience. There are some very very nasty solvents that will soften cyanoacrylate if it is not fully cured. Acetone is not one of them.

Its worked for me.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

9 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

Its worked for me.

You're absolutely correct. Acetone will dissolve cured cyanoacrylate. I believe I was confused by the fact that acetone more easily dissolves vinyl acetates like B-72. Sorry about that. :DOH:

Tom

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON