I assume this is a Triplofusus giganteus. I found it at the now closed SMR shell pit (Schroder-Manatee Ranch’s Aggregates) near Sarasota, Florida. I was wondering if this is the Pliocene version or the Pleistocene version? Are they different subspecies? I know this isn't the best one in the world, but it's nice. My gf wants it so badly, but I told her this one stays in my collection because it's from a site that's closed forever. I'm trying to find a substitute for her to make her happy. She wanted the long spindly one and she argued with me that I had plenty of shells already when I said no! So you see what I'm up against! Lol  I have one other that would pass for this one, but of course it came from a shell pit that's been closed too! Could you help out a poor fellow fossil hunter like me? haha!

0428201258.jpg

0428201256a_HDR.jpg

0428201256_HDR.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Scale is in inches ? I don't have a gastropod with this size :unsure:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hi Coco! The common name is horse conch. Its found in the waters of the SE USA. They can grow up to 24 inches (60 cm) this one is about  25 cm.

Al

If you love something , set it free.

If it comes back to you, it's yours.

If it doesn't, it never was. 

NOW GIVE YOUR GIRLFRIEND THE DARN SHELL!:P

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

27 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

As a old married man I gotta second this...IF YOU CARE FOR HER GIVE HER THE SHELL!

Ok. I'll do that. It's not like horse conchs are rare. I'm putting together for her a care package with fossils and rocks. Her birthday is coming soon. I'll just put it in and surprise her. Shhhhhhh!!!

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

If you love something , set it free.

If it comes back to you, it's yours.

If it doesn't, it never was. 

1 hour ago, Randyw said:

As a old married man I gotta second this...IF YOU CARE FOR HER GIVE HER THE SHELL!

Sorry guys, I have to disagree! I may be a selfish person for saying this, but my prized fossils are mine unless I choose otherwise. :P It’s one thing to share it with a spouse, but another thing to give it to a boy/girlfriend. That makes me sound like a bad person, doesn’t it? Sorry. :mellow:

Yes, the Pliocene form is the same species that lives today, Triplofusus giganteus (Kiener, 1840).

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain