Two weirdo Cookiecutter Creek teeth

fossilsonwheels

One of the busy work tasks I’ve been doing is going through all of the micro teeth and matrix... repeatedly lol I found two teeth from Cookiecutter Creek micros that I am flat out stumped on. No clue. 

The first one is larger, 6mm or so. I can only describe it as very flat. The cusp sits at an odd angle on an odd root. I am not even sure it’s shark. 

The second is about 4mm and I have no clue. I didn’t see anything in the paper describing Isistius and Squatina that stood out as a possibility. 

6C0C7EE7-40EA-4033-B059-378EBC9184DE.jpeg

12A00AB0-00ED-4A64-877B-CC75247FF7AA.jpeg

Sorry @fossilsonwheels but your pix make it pretty difficult (for me anyway!) to give confident ID's. I struggled for a long time to get acceptable photos of micros, and finally ended up with a Dino-lite. Others have found different set-ups that give good results, but if you're on a budget, I think the one that gives a good cost vs results benefit is a reasonably priced (about $20 + or -) clip-on macro lens for your smart phone. I've seen some pretty good photos with this set-up. Didn't work for me 'cause I still don't have a smart phone (:DOH:!!) but may work for you.

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, NCSTer said:

Sorry @fossilsonwheels but your pix make it pretty difficult (for me anyway!) to give confident ID's. I struggled for a long time to get acceptable photos of micros, and finally ended up with a Dino-lite. Others have found different set-ups that give good results, but if you're on a budget, I think the one that gives a good cost vs results benefit is a reasonably priced (about $20 + or -) clip-on macro lens for your smart phone. I've seen some pretty good photos with this set-up. Didn't work for me 'cause I still don't have a smart phone (:DOH:!!) but may work for you.

There seems to be several models of Dino-Lite. can you please give us the model number you are using. I am also looking at Amscope. 

They look like typical Carcharhinus symphyseal teeth but 6 millimeters is pretty large for one, maybe symphyseal tooth from some other type of shark.

• I found this Informative 2

On 4/29/2020 at 1:15 AM, Al Dente said:

They look like typical Carcharhinus symphyseal teeth but 6 millimeters is pretty large for one, maybe symphyseal tooth from some other type of shark.

That is helpful. I found several of these. Thank you. 

On 4/29/2020 at 1:15 AM, Al Dente said:

Hi Al Dente,

Yes, it's big for a symphyseal but it could be from a big bull shark.  I've seen upper teeth of a bull just over 2.5cm (one inch) from the Miocene of Florida.  I'm also wondering if it's that first lower anterior.  That can be a chunkier tooth like that one and the size would be more in the range of that.  I have a tooth like that but it's 11mm (Bone Valley Formation, Polk County, FL).

Jess