MacHoffman22

I know these are mammal teeth. I'm pretty convinced that at least the one on the left is a bison but would like to confirm. Would also like a rough estimate of age of possible.

15881206727342123660467.jpg

They are both fragmented and I would recommend you wait for some more experienced members to weigh in on an id. To me the one on the right looks like bovid and the one on the left looks like horse.

• I found this Informative 1

Personally, I don’t see horse in either of them, but I’ve been known to be wrong. :P @Harry Pristis will certainly know though! :)

@Harry Pristis the left tooth doesn’t look to have as many “folds” as the Equus teeth in your photo, and seems to have more of a gap between the folds. Maybe I’m not seeing it right. Could you help me understand for future reference?

It's just a fragment of an upper cheek tooth.  Represented are the mesostyle, the metaloph, the pre-fossette, and the post-fossette.

horse_teeth_terms.thumb.JPG.8be96bab5ecb45fdb4d8014234b0ac85.JPG

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

4 hours ago, garyc said:

After looking at the line drawings @Harry Pristis provided, I think I was confusing the pli caballin with a stylid from a bos tooth. Fragments are hard!!

Fragments are hard!  @garyc The pli caballin is a minor invagination that projects lingually into the post-protoconal valley.  I think that it's the apex of that valley that we see in the fragment.  Talking about horse teeth requires additions to my vocabulary (and to my machine dictionary)!

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest