ID Required

Cass

My 2nd rock that I found in Esk, Qld, Australia. I have had this piece for a while and no luck in IDing it. The rock is about 10cm long with a raised impression along the entire length. It’s quite heavy too. Any help to ID this would be extremely appreciated

1CB5C102-D3DD-4D89-8E33-1650A875224E.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

This looks like a nodule of some sort. Possibly chert?  :unsure: 

I think this is probably geologic in nature rather than biologic. 

Unfortunately, I can't really make out anything fossil related here. 

The texture and raised areas may just be how the rock fractured. 

Wait for some more opinions, however.  :)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

What a tantalizing object.  Seems like it could be organic.  If the rock is impervious, and it appears to be, wetting the face with something removable might make the putative fossil stand out better in an image.  Water is the obvious candidate, but don't flood the surface.  Just sponge the surface so it's damp, then work fast.  

Welcome to the Forum.

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Hi Harry, thanks for replying. I have wet it down as suggested and has more interesting detail. But can’t upload as a reply to show you. Do you know how I edit the original pic to swap it with the new one? 

I have reposted as new content for ID if you wouldn’t mind having a look at the updated image. Thank you ☺️ 

Edited by Cass

2nd photo relisted as couldn’t change the original. I have wet the face down as suggested to enable better viewing of the details. This was a solid whole oval rock with what appears to be an impression 

.. (from original post)

My 2nd rock that I found in Esk, Qld, Australia. I have had this piece for a while and no luck in IDing it. The rock is about 10cm long with a raised impression along the entire length. It’s quite heavy too. Any help to ID this would be extremely appreciated

3462B99F-5173-4F52-B518-0DD7A1DEC2FD.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Cass said:

Hi Harry, thanks for replying. I have wet it down as suggested and has more interesting detail. But can’t upload as a reply to show you. Do you know how I edit the original pic to swap it with the new one? 

I have reposted as new content for ID if you wouldn’t mind having a look at the updated image. Thank you ☺️ 

Reloading the page should allow for posting another image as a reply.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Looks like some sort of Paleozoic invertebrate horror, but then, I'm not a student of invertebrates.  Someone else may have a better idea.

(You should have posted this as a reply to your original post.  A moderator will move it now.)

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Hi Mark, I tried that but said only x amount megabytes allowed, but was able to load it on a separate post

Edited by Cass

23 minutes ago, Cass said:

Hi Mark, I tried that but said only x amount megabytes allowed, but was able to load it on a separate post

Topics merged. ;) 

We prefer to keep posts about the same item together. 

You are limited to 4 mb per post/reply. 

Try using an online photo editor to shrink your photos down to 800 x 600.

A refresh should allow you to add photos in subsequent replies. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I thought it might be related to the Pikaia or the Opabinia group. Similar in structure but not sure about size. 

D31C2817-7212-4EA3-959D-9F38D4D254A9.jpeg

It does look suggestively like a fossil, but I am thinking this is hackle fringe -- a geologic feature in the rock. If it were of organic origin, I would expect a bit more morphological uniformity. 

• I found this Informative 6

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

It does look suggestively like a fossil, but I am thinking this is hackle fringe -- a geologic feature in the rock. If it were of organic origin, I would expect a bit more morphological uniformity. 

+1

Had to look that up. Yes I can see that it does look like a hackle fringe. Is it normal in those types to have the centre raised by around .7cm than the creases that twist outward? It’s like there’s a new layer around the darker piece which is lighter in colour than the hackle ridge.