Shark Jaw ID

mcbessy

Can anyone help me ID this shark jaw? Purchased on Craigslist, it was found at an estate sale in upstate NY.

Early research has me suspicious it's from the Carcharhinidae family, but I would love an expert's guidance and a specific species name if possible.

Thanks in advance,

B

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 11.24.41 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 11.24.48 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 11.24.55 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 11.25.01 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 11.25.20 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 11.25.08 AM.jpg

Yup. You are on the right track as it does appear to be a carcharhinid. I believe @MarcoSr has a collection of shark jaws and @Al Dente is pretty good with shark teeth. I think a good close-up of the lower teeth would also be helpful.

Cheers.

-Ken

That should help. It is tricky to separate the species of Carcharhinus from isolated fossilized teeth--I don't even attempt it. ;)

Should be more possible with a complete set of teeth (and jaw) from an extant species. Just have to wait to those with the proper experience check in.

Cheers.

-Ken

I’m thinking it is Carcharhinus obscurus, the Dusky Shark. This is based on tooth shape as well as dental formula. It is difficult to tell from the photos but I think I counted 14 upper teeth on each side and 13 lower teeth on each side along with 2 symphyseals in the upper and 1 in the lower jaw.

• I found this Informative 2

I really can't get a tooth count from the pictures.  There are a number of possibilities.  From what I can see of both the upper and lower tooth features, I agree with Eric that the jaw looks like  a Carcharhinus obscurus, Dusky Shark jaw.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 1

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png