Jaw identification

MeisTravis

I recently bought this jaw and was wondering if someone can shed some light on it. Seller gave some info on it, but when I received it it’s a little different than expected. Seller states it was found in Iowa. It also seems very light if it’s fossilized, I have no experience with fossil bone so I’m not sure what to expect.  Any help is appreciated. Thanks

595742CA-1884-4881-AD53-C901634F279B.jpeg

3FBE6610-3B9C-4FBC-BDEC-292B8B61ADAF.jpeg

3DC834FF-6C4F-4D17-A1DE-95DF8A929980.jpeg

6A5EB190-EA30-43E1-BAF3-068E52715A16.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

+1 for canid.  not much insight beyond that.

Interesting pathology with how worn the teeth are.

I guess I’ll come right out and ask, the seller sold it to me as dire wolf, is there any way to say if that’s even a possibility? From the sounds of it there would be no definitive way to know.

It is in the size range, but I don't know the characters to distinguish (if there are any) between Canis dirus or Canis lupus.  Maybe some of the Florida collectors will know with more precision.

There is a chart here for measuring m1.  Maybe that will help.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dire_wolf

18 hours ago, MeisTravis said:

3FBE6610-3B9C-4FBC-BDEC-292B8B61ADAF.jpeg

That green algae/moss speaks modernity too me. I wonder if this isn’t someone’s old dog, this would explain the extensive wear on the teeth if it is in fact someone’s pet.

If you feel confident, you could conduct a burn test on a small area of the mandible(Not the teeth! They don’t contain collagen!) Take a lighter and try to burn a small spot of bone. If it’s modern you should start to smell a “burning hair” odor within a few seconds.

• I found this Informative 2

Flame test would be good to establish age.  If its modern, it wouldn't be a dire wolf.

While domestic dogs certainly show wear more often than wolves due to diet/longevity, there is well documented evidence of significant wear in wolves too.  I'm not sure how much weight I would throw on wear pattern alone.  

@ParkerPaleo is right:

&httpsredir=1&article=1398&context=usgsn

For the record I still think it’s more parsimonious to assume it a domestic dog rather than a fossil. Burn test will let us know.

4 minutes ago, MeisTravis said:

I would say it fails the test, in regards to it smells..

Sounds like a fossil then!

For future reference:

In canids such as Canis latrans, the upper carnassials (the large pointy cheek tooth) are the fourth premolars (P4). The lower carnassial teeth are the first molar (m1).
It's easy usually to distinguish between canid upper and lower carnassials. The upper carnassial (P4) in canids has three roots (or "fangs" as they are called in some books). The lower carnassial - the molar - has only two roots.
These coyote upper carnassials have a crown length of about 0.8" or ~20.3mm.
Other canid P4 crown lengths are:
For 50 dogs, C. familiaris, the avg. length was . . . . . . . . . . . . 19.28mm
For 111 female coyotes, C. latrans, the avg. lngth. was . . . . . . 19.60mm
For 166 male coyotes, the average length was . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20.38mm
For 12 eastern female gray wolves, C. lupus, the avg. was . . . . 22.67mm
For 19 eastern male gray wolves, the avg. P4 length was . . . . . . . . . . 24.55mm
For a good number of dire wolves, C. dirus, the crown length. . . . 30-35mm

While this comparison list is based on upper carnassials, the upper (P4) and lower (m1) carnassials (at least in C. latrans) are about the same length.  Make your own correlation.

canis_dirus_p2m1.JPG

canislatransM1occlusalpair.jpg

canislatransP4lpaircomposite.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks for the help everyone, the seller said he would return it for me. I greatly appreciate all the help and insight!