Saber-tooth Canine

Jago

Need help with this sabertooth canine!  Wanted to know if its ever been repaired or not(in its original state).  The canine looks superb to the naked eyes, but under a magnifyer, I can see white residue in the crack or fractured area.  The line of the crack or fractured area goes all the way around the canine.  One would assume that its been fractured and glued back together, yet it could been molded to make replicas leaving some molds in the cracks.  But I noticed that the serrations are not alligned.  One side sits higher than the other of the fractured or cracked area.  All together it weighs light, but its lighter on the root side.  Please look at these photos and help me out with your experience, knowledge, and expertise!  Can the canine have these cracked or fractured lines but was never broken or fixed?

20200428_081535.jpg

20200428_080114.jpg

20200428_080106.jpg

Looks like it has been glued pack together. In the first pic I am not sure what is going on. Looks like some kind of coating has been applied?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

That's exactly what I thought too.  This other lady from Colorado university who works at the museum said it's real but never answered my other question regarding if its been repaired or not.  The seller advertised it as a, "no repairs, with root, A++++ condition.  Looks great but under magnifyer, I can see the paint or putty on the serrations.  Please take another look because I'm only allowed three pictures!

20200428_080604.jpg

20200428_080030.jpg

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Saber-tooth Canine

From the photos, a break repaired with infilling (not a clean break) and restoration of the tip are what I believe I see.

This post would probably have more eyes on it (and more opinions), if it was posted to the "Is it Real?" topic.

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Welcome from Illinois, USA. I agree.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Here's my 2 cents on the issues:

1.  The crack through the middle.  It appears to be offset at the serrations as you can see, I'm not sure it means that it is necessary glued back together.  This could be from preservation.  You'd need to know if the infilling is matrix, dentine, putty/epoxy, or even possibly abrasive that has been packed in there during preparation.  A bad cleaning on the surfaces of a break often leads to pieces being slightly offset but keep in mind preservation could have broken/shifted it as well.  If the specimen was broken in two, I would not be surprised if a bit of enamel on the edge of the break was lost.

2.  The tip is painted.  This would be an obvious preparation mark.  Paint usually means there is a repair underneath because why would you paint a pristine enamel surface.  You wouldn't be able to tell without removing the paint to see whats beneath it though.  Similar to the break above, the enamel may just be missing.

The tooth looks real and appears to have quality serrations.