May 2020 - Finds of the Month Entries

digit

HI All ! 

I propose for the contest that plate i found in july 2012 with my son  at Hienheim Quarry Germany in the well named "Sauerkraut" layer.

I had an order  and as i hadn't many pieces i started to search if i had things left in my cellar and i found that one that i forgot to prepare for 8 years !!

Now its done ! The good thing with that plate is that it was covered by a thin layer of limestone which is usually not the case in that Sauerkraut layer. Generally its splits in 2 parts and often brittlestars are partially on one side and partially on the other side.

Now, its just the best one i have  with +60 specimens ... :) 

Found in July 2012, prepared on 5 may 2020

Sinosura kelheimense

Upper Jurassic 

Hienheim quarry , Germany

hienheim 2012b.jpg

pic 1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic 4.jpg

• I found this Informative 23
  • Enjoyed 1

Long time since my last entry here. This specimen is just special to me, but I would like to it show off anyways :D.

I found the specimen during one of my several prospecting trips for Trochactaeon snails in the northwestern part of the Gosau basin of Kainach in Western Styria, during the last 5 weeks. The trips were initiated by tips of a friend (and the C-thing, of course). I discovered some uncollected T-sites and was able to notice, that at least 7 different layers with T occur in the area. And that there are also locally layers and lenses of a black, fossiliferrous limestone with plenty radiolitid rudist fragments, scarce corals etc., interbedded with the silicilastic conglomerate-sandstone-rare siltstone sequence.

For a summary in German see:

Trochactaeon - Part 1 (pdf)

Trochactaeon - Part 2 (pdf)

This specimen was found in the driveway of a forest road, with an outcrop of a snail layer at the road itself just nearby. Its a polished slab with two juvenile Trochactaeon giganteus, sitting in a matrix of sandstone. Beside the two differently oriented and nicely arranged snails, this specimen contains - and this makes it special to me - a fragment of a coral colony, perhaps a phaceloid one. It is very poorly preserved, but its a coral anyways. Its hard to imagine how it has survived the transport, notice the rounded rock clasts nearby. Nothing of the coral was visible prior to cutting and its the first specimen of this kind of combo I have found. However, the friend mentioned above discovered a big T matrix specimen with a 3 cm large plocoid coral colony about 20 years ago in the same general area.

Found: 05/17/2020

Name: Trochactaeon giganteus (Sowerby, 1832) with fragment of coral colony

Formation / Age: Upper Geistthal-formation - Lower Afling-formation, Gosau group / Upper Santonian - Lower Campanian

Locality: Breitenbach, Kainach bei Voitsberg, Styria, Austria

AN_Trochacateon_AN4301_kompr.thumb.jpg.8f096b1f2f00d20f73ce3bc65dba8782.jpg

AN_Trochacateon_Koralle_AN4301.thumb.jpg.a622fef4701d3146e6ba244812d6a5db.jpg

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 10

My submission-hadn't seen conodonts submitted but I admit not reviewing every submission!

5/7/2020

Conodont Gondolella sp S segment?

Replacement toothlets (pokal cell cones) 20x/40x

Stark shale member 

Kansas City, Missouri

5ecd6d19b4fca_conodontelongated3teethwithmedialdenticularpoints.thumb.jpg.889c41d7b60a8322631a2c3a43964f0b.jpg5ecd6d2c679c2_conodontcloseupofmedialdenticlepoints.thumb.jpg.6bc383f0ddd49dedd206d786bed6a1ec.jpg

• I found this Informative 12

13 hours ago, Bonehunter said:

5/7/2020

Conodont Gondolella sp S segment?

Replacement toothlets (pokal cell cones) 20x/40x

Stark shale member 

Kansas City, Missouri

I'll admit, this is also the first conodont I see submitted for FOTM.

Nice find :)

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Amazing entries this month! I’ll throw this tooth in the mix:

Found - 5-25-20

Cretodus sp. Shark tooth

86-92 mya - Eagle Ford Group/Atco Formation

North Texas, U.S.A.

08F13573-9C4E-4176-8ADF-9F4274C603A5.jpeg

50D88E46-FA89-49CB-8B21-1131F1700765.jpeg

AE0CADD9-7DDC-4613-B967-98E5C6171F1C.jpeg

6568C33D-7B80-4E6A-9225-35C6345B4E4A.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

1 hour ago, connorp said:

@Bonehunter That is quite nice! I love conodonts. Is it a thin section or is the element just translucent?

Thanks!- it is a whole fragment and they are translucent- I'm finding (and its probably been thoroughly researched for every species) each "toothlet" is different in different elements and different species-they are so difficult to remove from the matrix intact, but still pretty cool!. Bone

• I found this Informative 3

After spending a long and very successful day out hunting crinoids and blastoids, I decided to pack up the spoils and head back to my car. On the long walk back I ended up almost stepping on this big, and halfway covered crinoid calyx. After a few hours of scribe work, it came out to be very nice. (besides the iron oxide staining) This is the largest, complete example I've uncovered yet

Found: 5/27/20, Cleaned: 5/28/20.

Species: Uperocrinus pyriformis - Crinoid calyx, 1.5 inches in length

Formation: Burlington Formation (Mississippian)

Locality: Henry County, Missouri

20200528_092418.jpg

20200528_092434.jpg

20200528_094323.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

Try my luck with this:

Found: January 2020, prepped 05/12/2020

Species: 2x Torynomma quadrata

Formation: Allura Mudstone (Cretaceous, 105MYA)

Locality: Queensland, Australia

7CFCB535-4BEE-494C-8B13-A741A6C98F78.png

021A6A47-B49F-4013-A4E1-36937ABE6EBF.jpeg

52300BE8-F4BD-4787-A966-83502AF63D53.jpeg

9A4A5759-D34B-4848-A199-2BD339ECAAE9.jpeg

• I found this Informative 11

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

So here is my entry to this month's contest, a trilobite: 

Collected 5/3/20, Preparation completed 5/22/20 by Ptychodus04

Kettneraspis tuberculata

Lower Devonian, Kalkberg Formation, Helderberg Group

Schoharie Co., N.Y.

IMG_5771.JPG

kettneraspis.jpg

• I found this Informative 14

Man at first I thought this was gonna be a slow month in the invertebrate department, this is going to be a really tough choice. :default_clap2:

Only 2 vertebrate finds though! Where are the peeps?

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I think troodon scared the competition away with that dentary, definitely a hard one to beat. If I had a nice vertebrate find I'd be scrambling to find a reason to do some prep on it next month :P

6 hours ago, Huntonia said:

this is going to be a really tough choice.

Indeed!

Such a great variety! Stunning microfossils, unbelievable prep skills, lovely couples, sparkly fossils, lovely plants and so on!

47 minutes ago, Huntonia said:

I think troodon scared the competition away with that dentary, definitely a hard one to beat.

This could very well be the case. Its a bummer specimen!

For me its not so much about competition, its more about showing off the personal highlight of the month. And in summary, this results usually in a nice and very diverse monthly display of long-gone fauna and flora! Thanks to all contributors for their contributions!
Franz Bernhard

4 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

For me its not so much about competition, its more about showing off the personal highlight of the month. And in summary, this results usually in a nice and very diverse monthly display of long-gone fauna and flora! Thanks to all contributors for their contributions!

:thumbsu:

Cheers.

-Ken

A few days last week were spent playing in the Keokuk and Burlington formations of the Mississippian down in Southern Iowa. The purpose of the trip was to collect fossils for @JamieLynn. I gave my best fossils found to her except two that need professional prepping. Sorry Jamie!!! Here is the one I am entering BEFORE prep. Hopefully with proper preparation the crinoid  will whiten and have more detail. Unfortunately if I waited until after prepping was complete, I would likely break the rules of the contest. My prepper is in Northern Kentucky and I pick up my finds whenever we bump into each other, but usually PAST the month that major prep occurs. My fossil was IDed by the Burlington crinoid expert, Forest Gahn: 

Gahn, Forest

May 25, 2020, 4:15 PM (4 days ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
"cleardot.gifHi Mike,

Thanks for your email. It’s a nice break from the related book I’ve been working on today (which is taking longer to finish than anticipated). I always appreciate seeing newly discovered crinoids, especially from the Burlington Limestone. I’m also a little jealous. I’ve been considering taking a trip back to the Midwest to visit family and some of my favorite fossil haunts. My crinoid localities in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming are still under snow. 

Congrats on finding a few nice specimens. The damaged crown is an Uperocrinus pyriformis. I’m not sure if you have any experience with fossil preparation, but I would flip it, exposing the other side. There is a good chance some of the stem is buried in the matrix as well. The calyx on the same slab could be an Abatocrinus laura, but it’s a little hard to tell with the compression of the calyx and matrix still on the specimen. It could just be a flattened Macrocrinus verneuilianus, which is more common.

The calyx that appears to be broken on one side is an otherwise great specimen of Strotocrinus glyptus. 

All of the specimens are from the traditional “Upper Burlington”. 

So here is my entrant: 

Found 5/21/2020
Strotocrinus glyptus 
Mississippian 
Upper Burlington Limestone  Southern Iowa

DSC_0387-001.thumb.JPG.9367635cb1e372050266ee4070971623.JPG

DSC_0386-001.thumb.JPG.7ffdba68bf42cae9645bdb9f474edb6c.JPG 

DSC_0385-002.thumb.JPG.8cd729d9823df4eb6ee92e972db873a2.JPG 

DSC_0383-001.thumb.JPG.18054ef52b86a8d79e26ab63d873033c.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

8 hours ago, Huntonia said:

If I had a nice vertebrate find I'd be scrambling to find a reason to do some prep on it next month :P

While Huntonia was obviously joking, his jest brings up a valid concern we experience here on the Forum.  To make sure people understand the rules, "some" prep is not adequate.  It has to be significant prep that reveals diagnostic characters and/or very significantly changes the appearance of the fossil.  The rules say the majority of the prep has to be done in the month of submission.  If you have something professionally prepped, you can submit it in the month you get it back from the prepper, or the month the prepper provides you with photos of the finished product if that occurs first.   If you do your own prep, you have to have photo documentation proving the prep was done in the indicated month, and the staff will check to make sure the prep is indeed "significant".  I'm sorry if these rules seem overbearing, but they are a response to situations in the past where people pulled out a nice fossil they collected long ago, and did some trivial cleanup on it so they could submit it in a month where there isn't a lot of competition.  This is supposed to be about "fossil of the month", and it is supposed to be a low-key fun competition to show off unusually nice fossils you found or prepped this month.

Don

Man there's a pretty hard choice coming up in a few days...

Some really great finds this month!

• I found this Informative 1

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

• Fossildude19 unfeatured this topic