digit

May 2020 - Finds of the Month Entries

Wrangellian

WOW :drool:

RuMert

They are multipliyng right now:D Great piece, looks like we already have both winners 

caterpillar

Great find David

The Amateur Paleontologist
13 hours ago, Bonehunter said:

5/7/2020

Conodont Gondolella sp S segment?

Replacement toothlets (pokal cell cones) 20x/40x

Stark shale member 

Kansas City, Missouri

I'll admit, this is also the first conodont I see submitted for FOTM.

Nice find :)

connorp

@Bonehunter That is quite nice! I love conodonts. Is it a thin section or is the element just translucent?

Bonehunter
1 hour ago, connorp said:

@Bonehunter That is quite nice! I love conodonts. Is it a thin section or is the element just translucent?

Thanks!- it is a whole fragment and they are translucent- I'm finding (and its probably been thoroughly researched for every species) each "toothlet" is different in different elements and different species-they are so difficult to remove from the matrix intact, but still pretty cool!. Bone

Huntonia

Man at first I thought this was gonna be a slow month in the invertebrate department, this is going to be a really tough choice. :default_clap2:

Ash

Only 2 vertebrate finds though! Where are the peeps?

Huntonia

I think troodon scared the competition away with that dentary, definitely a hard one to beat. If I had a nice vertebrate find I'd be scrambling to find a reason to do some prep on it next month :P

FranzBernhard
6 hours ago, Huntonia said:

this is going to be a really tough choice.

Indeed!

Such a great variety! Stunning microfossils, unbelievable prep skills, lovely couples, sparkly fossils, lovely plants and so on!

47 minutes ago, Huntonia said:

I think troodon scared the competition away with that dentary, definitely a hard one to beat.

This could very well be the case. Its a bummer specimen!

For me its not so much about competition, its more about showing off the personal highlight of the month. And in summary, this results usually in a nice and very diverse monthly display of long-gone fauna and flora! Thanks to all contributors for their contributions!
Franz Bernhard

digit
4 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

For me its not so much about competition, its more about showing off the personal highlight of the month. And in summary, this results usually in a nice and very diverse monthly display of long-gone fauna and flora! Thanks to all contributors for their contributions!

:thumbsu:

Cheers.

-Ken

FossilDAWG

FOTM is a real museum display this month! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Don

FossilDAWG
8 hours ago, Huntonia said:

If I had a nice vertebrate find I'd be scrambling to find a reason to do some prep on it next month :P

While Huntonia was obviously joking, his jest brings up a valid concern we experience here on the Forum.  To make sure people understand the rules, "some" prep is not adequate.  It has to be significant prep that reveals diagnostic characters and/or very significantly changes the appearance of the fossil.  The rules say the majority of the prep has to be done in the month of submission.  If you have something professionally prepped, you can submit it in the month you get it back from the prepper, or the month the prepper provides you with photos of the finished product if that occurs first.   If you do your own prep, you have to have photo documentation proving the prep was done in the indicated month, and the staff will check to make sure the prep is indeed "significant".  I'm sorry if these rules seem overbearing, but they are a response to situations in the past where people pulled out a nice fossil they collected long ago, and did some trivial cleanup on it so they could submit it in a month where there isn't a lot of competition.  This is supposed to be about "fossil of the month", and it is supposed to be a low-key fun competition to show off unusually nice fossils you found or prepped this month.

Don

The Amateur Paleontologist

Man there's a pretty hard choice coming up in a few days...

Some really great finds this month!

hokietech96

Congratulations on everyone’s entries!  They are all amazing.