Does this Sauropod claw look real?

Hi,

This is listed as a large sauropod claw (16cm in length) from Madagascar attributed to the Sauropod Archaeodontosaurus descouensis. I wanted to ask does it look alright? it states that there is no restoration to the fossil. Thanks in advance!

d9924b1d-3a29-47f1-b201-3488c212c8ac_1_201_a_1_dc6a9e.jpeg

40eea772-be29-4c93-8171-ce48b24db7fc_1_201_a_5cffae.jpeg

984c1a01-aaae-4d78-a9f4-e6c08c8f51b9_1_201_a_ee06af.jpeg

cd461e97-4da5-42ff-948d-b126dba197ee_1_201_a_549ffe.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Looks like a legitimate sauropod claw and pretty typical of the ones Ive seen.   Seller does not provide a specific locality or formation other than its jurassic to support his identification claim but it would be immaterial anyway.   I have not seen sauropod claws described from the Jurassic of Madagascar so I have a hard time seeing how anyone could assign this to Archaeodontosaurus.   Might want to ask them how they arrived at that conclusion since multiple sauropods were present.   If you decide to purchase its best described as an indeterminate sauropod.

• I found this Informative 5

Thanks Troodon!, i think Archaeodontosaurus is just a name assigned to the fossil, probably best described as Sauropod indet. If i am not mistaken, Archaeodontosaurus is known from the Isalo III Formation, so i will ask the seller if a specific locality is available. 

2 hours ago, msantix said:

Thanks Troodon!, i think Archaeodontosaurus is just a name assigned to the fossil, probably best described as Sauropod indet. If i am not mistaken, Archaeodontosaurus is known from the Isalo III Formation, so i will ask the seller if a specific locality is available. 

Provenance is the most important piece of information needed for material from madagascar.  The Isalo IIIb unit is what we know best and its still very little.  Four sauropod Taxons are currently known which includes Archaeodontosaurus.

• I found this Informative 1

I just got a response from the seller and he said that the claw was found in the layers of the Isalo Formation, but can't narrow it down any further than that. He also said a second smaller claw was found with this claw.

Well you really dont know any more than before.  Its probably the Isalo IIIb formation without a specific locality.  Four sauropods,  3 named are known from that formation.

Schematic-geological-sections-of-the-whole-Mahajanga-basin-A-and-near-the-village-of.png.2c4889e408f9ac638f860c099a90ea29.png

You can see how tight the different deposits are near Ambondromamy (Isalo IIIb) why an accurate provenance is important 

Screenshot_20200501-073229.thumb.jpg.d815f5dc68c4bb0c35c84da2e265355e.jpg

Thanks! well i purchased the fossil.....i don't mind having labelled as a intermediate Sauropod, like you said there are multiple Sauropods known from the Jurassic localities. Either way i am happy to add a Sauropod claw to my collection, as long as it is a real claw, i still have those memories of almost purchasing a fake Spinosaurus claw, and was lucky to have the help of the forum! Thank you again Troodon for your help, i really appreciate it!