Belemnites - assorted favourites from my collection

TqB

On 5/1/2020 at 10:52 AM, TqB said:

Some Nannobelus acutus from the Sinemurian stage. Apart from a few very rare Hettangian specimens, these simple forms are the first belemnites to appear in Europe. (They used to be thought to be the first in the world but there's a couple of recent papers describing earlier, more diverse forms from the Pacific area. Not well known yet though and more information would be good. And there are other possibles but not very certain.)

They aren't generally spectacular but I have two specimens that are more complete and solid than usual in the alveolar region, from Charmouth nodules, recently found and prepped by the same preparator. They're the only ones with this preservation I've seen though there must be others out there - it tends to be the ammonites people prep for! 

Obtusum Zone, Stellare Subzone, Charmouth (I've shown this before as a topic.) Belemnite is 45mm long.

IMG_3421.thumb.jpeg.74e4a4ce14a17c30af1b01c791e44c2f.jpeg

This one is shown with a more typical specimen from a shale (actually Yorkshire coast). Both Obtusum Zone and Subzone.

IMG_3562.thumb.jpeg.b599a9c279b4576794ed79d2c41a0ec5.jpeg

And another typical specimen, also from the north Yorkshire coast, upper Semicostatum Zone (Scipionanum/Sauzeanum Subzone)

5eac347b6a6ca_IMG_2822text.thumb.jpg.b83fa3f130ddc40e6a01ed63c7fbe828.jpg

oh, man, these are really nice!

• Thank You 1