Predation Fossil

Dracarys

Hi All,

This is suppose to be a hadrosaur toe bone that has evidence of predation. Looks like big claw gashes, maybe ungal claws from a Rex? Please comment on your thoughts? 

Enjoy!

IMG_5540.jpg

IMG_5542.jpg

IMG_5545.jpg

IMG_5546.jpg

I dont see a hadro toe bone but thats not important, what size is it?  I doubt a claw would make those grooves.  Do you see any serration marks in those grooves?  Not getting a predation vibe at the moment.

@jpc

@LordTrilobite

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

I dont see a hadro toe bone but thats not important, what size is it?  I doubt a claw would make those grooves.  Do you see any serration marks in those grooves?  Not getting a predation vibe at the moment.

@jpc

@LordTrilobite

The piece is 6 x 4 inches. The grooves are roughly parallel and 1.75 inches wide. On the backside there appears to be a puncture hole. I really do believe this predation.  But unknown by what...

EC20E838-B2EF-4D92-AB41-6401F1E9D32E.jpeg

3AAFB700-5646-4C70-B70E-4784E35DDBB3.jpeg

C35BD984-0FA1-406B-A2BC-C4BB5C0F9EBF.jpeg

03BC4BA5-C953-4647-B5CE-E32F84793612.jpeg

2106C22F-1CAD-4E2F-889C-704EE3BBD7B2.jpeg

5B8355CC-3908-4D0B-BEE4-A294A1B162C0.jpeg

Hm, that looks really sharp and deep. At least the gouges don't look natural to the bone.

Did you buy or find this? Is there sediment in the deep cuts? I'm wondering if the damage are recent or old. If there is sediment in the cuts they are more likely to be old. They do seem to be a little weathered, which would point towards them being old.

I'm by no means an expert. But I don't think a claw would do this type of damage. If it's damage by a predator I would suspect tooth damage. But then again, T.rex teeth are really fat and these cuts look quite slender.

So I dunno. The weathering and colour make them look like old damage. But the slender shape kinda fits better with modern tool damage during excavation.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

With you new photos Im still not seeing positive evidence of predation.  The grooves do not appear to be made by teeth or claws given the depth, narrowness, roughness of top groove,  S shape coupled with the length.   Unfortunately I cannot offer how they got there.   I also cannot say for sure the hole in the middle of the bone is made from a tooth, the shape works but the location doesn't with the absence of other tooth marks..  Hey we need a good CSI on this item.  

The grooves are intriguing.  I have no idea.  But the hole on the bottom is NOT a puncture wound.  Notice how the bone pattern clearly detours around the hole.  This is some sort of internal canal in the bne. Dinosaur bones are full of them.  I don't know how anyone cound say this is a hadrosaur toe bone.  

• I found this Informative 1

19 minutes ago, jpc said:

The grooves are intriguing.  I have no idea.  But the hole on the bottom is NOT a puncture wound.  Notice how the bone pattern clearly detours around the hole.  This is some sort of internal canal in the bne. Dinosaur bones are full of them.  I don't know how anyone cound say this is a hadrosaur toe bone.  

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

With you new photos Im still not seeing positive evidence of predation.  The grooves do not appear to be made by teeth or claws given the depth, narrowness, roughness of top groove,  S shape coupled with the length.   Unfortunately I cannot offer how they got there.   I also cannot say for sure the hole in the middle of the bone is made from a tooth, the shape works but the location doesn't with the absence of other tooth marks..  Hey we need a good CSI on this item.  

8 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Hm, that looks really sharp and deep. At least the gouges don't look natural to the bone.

Did you buy or find this? Is there sediment in the deep cuts? I'm wondering if the damage are recent or old. If there is sediment in the cuts they are more likely to be old. They do seem to be a little weathered, which would point towards them being old.

I'm by no means an expert. But I don't think a claw would do this type of damage. If it's damage by a predator I would suspect tooth damage. But then again, T.rex teeth are really fat and these cuts look quite slender.

So I dunno. The weathering and colour make them look like old damage. But the slender shape kinda fits better with modern tool damage during excavation.

Thank you gentlemen for all your thoughts. The bone was found in South Dakota personally by my friend. He only took a guess at hadrosaur bone. This is exactly how he found it. @LordTrilobite - the gouges are deep and narrow with fragmented bones and sentiments. I can see how the gouges would be more wide if they were Rex teeth. Certainly confused.I can see how the gouges would be more wide if they were Rex teeth. Certainly confused.

44E1BECE-CC85-4504-BD61-92903A6380EC.jpeg

7F995489-42A2-466A-B02D-9D0481DAEDCA.jpeg

518FE669-8044-493A-8CF1-320B268EDF89.jpeg

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

You could try sending these photos to Pete L.  

Good thought. Thanks!