Didn't do the lick test on this one

PaleoNoel

I found this odd little pebble in the Lance fm. in Wyoming over the summer and have yet to post on the forum so I thought I'd do so tonight. Anywhere else I probably wouldn't have kept it, but since I found it in a dinosaur bearing formation I was thinking it had the potential to be a gastrolith as it's completely smooth and rounded along with being a different color than most of the surrounding sediment I found it in, possibly hinting at transportation from its origin. I'd like to know your thoughts as I think it would be really cool to have found a dinosaur gastrolith.

It's also not a piece of rabbit or deer scatt as it's not squishable (trust me I've accidentally picked them up before out there).

5eacf520737e2_IMG_5584(1).thumb.JPG.5843a433d2085bc59db16f7585718266.JPG

IMG_5583.thumb.JPG.ba973d3a381d2c8f13f71503ad78735a.JPG

Possible gastrolith. You can probably use ink to write possible on the tag though. ;)

I find lots of pebbles that shape as a result of being in channel deposits.   Gastroliths do exists but the only positive way to assign them as one is to find them associated with a skeleton.

• I found this Informative 6

could it be a modern seed?  I find a lot of modern seeds in my Lance Fm micros.  

3 hours ago, jpc said:

could it be a modern seed?  I find a lot of modern seeds in my Lance Fm micros.  

I've found a number of them too, but nothing has led me to believe this is organic based on how it feels and how it appears under a magnifying glass.

11 hours ago, Troodon said:

I find lots of pebbles that shape as a result of being in channel deposits.   Gastroliths do exists but the only positive way to assign them as one is to find them associated with a skeleton.

Thanks, I thought it might be a longshot, but still worth posting. Based on the nature of channel deposits it would probably be impossible to definitively identify a gastrolith from a rounded pebble.