jpc

I want to start an actual computer database for my collection.  I want to find a free downloadable database.  Does anyone out there have any input?

At work I use FileMaker Pro.  I designed the database for our collections and it works well,  but it costs 500 plus bucks (300 for academic use, which is what we paid). I do not want to pay that sort of money, or any if possible.  I looked into Specify, but they seem to be only for actual museums and not for home collections, or so it seems on the download page.  

What, if anythng do you folks use?

• I found this Informative 3

Microsoft Excel. Good enough for 10.000+ specimens...

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 3

For my database I use Microsoft Excel.  You can set up whatever format and folders fits your needs.

I have spreadsheets for Dinosaurs, Shark, etc and in each divide them by country.    

• I found this Informative 4

+1 for Excel.  One consideration I had in choosing it was likelihood of longevity and future compatibility / upgrades.

• I found this Informative 2

There is also software for creating your own Collection DB. 

Trilobase

Paleo Tax.

Trilobase can be used to try it for up to 100 fossils. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

11 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

There is also software for creating your own Collection DB. 

Trilobase

Paleo Tax.

Trilobase can be used to try it for up to 100 fossils. 

Do you know if either of these programs could be downloaded onto a Mac?  I know Trilobase struggles with it but have never heard of Paleo Tax. before.

I also use Excel as a self made database where I add per specimen a small description, type, scientific name, geological era, age,  country & location and from which seller they came or if whether I found them myself + a photo as said fossil. If I have some additional information, I usually add it as well behind they photo.

158844343859138398.png.cecfb2b8bc3f475a77b722a061f1e6ff.png

And in the same excel file I also added databases for my Meteorites, Microfossils, Minerals & stones, prehistoric artefacts. And I added a sheet with a geological timeline, one with a wishlist, one that lists all the online sellers I know and one where I keep track of the expenses in my fossil hobby.

• I found this Informative 4

Interested in all things paleontology, geology, zoology, evolution, natural history and science!
Professional exotic pet keeper, huge fantasy geek, explorer of the microfossil realm, member of the BVP (Belgian Association for Paleontology), Volunteer prepper at Oertijdmuseum Boxtel.  

View my collection topic here:

The Growing Collection of Ziggycardon
My animal collection at the "Members pet" topic

Ziggycardon's exploration of the microfossil realm

Trips to Eben Emael (Maastrichtian of Belgium)

My latest fossil hunt

Next project will be a dedicated prepping space.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

5d68d9f3c550a_153657011360380104(21).jpg.bda3d3b7ae7b8321dd0620a0c61cc459.jpg5d68da1b497f5_153657011360380104(20).jpg.8610ffc65ccaa5d057e7b52b65989cd0.jpg5d68da353dd03_153657011360380104(24).jpg.ae73afaefa6ab34e7af5f6131aed96ff.jpgsolnhofen.jpg.76dd03ba7eb39946850662021b7d8dd4.jpg166802558255587143.jpg.c38d91e9e45f17addf29c40166b797a2.jpg5d68da49ad887_153657011360380104(25).jpg.dfff987039b3c99f41e44da51f71ae91.jpg

4 hours ago, Runner64 said:

Do you know if either of these programs could be downloaded onto a Mac?  I know Trilobase struggles with it but have never heard of Paleo Tax. before

Mac has their own version of excel that is free for Mac users called Numbers. You could give that a try before buying excel. 

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

3 hours ago, Runner64 said:

Do you know if either of these programs could be downloaded onto a Mac?  I know Trilobase struggles with it but have never heard of Paleo Tax. before.

Apart from Numbers (which comes with most Mac OSs), you can also create Excel-like tables in Mac's native word processor, Pages. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Not sure if it runs on Mac, but I use Open Office. It’s free from here... Link

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Thanks for the input you guys. 

I tried Trilobase but was not impressed.  I would like to be able to add fields as needed.  Also I sent the guy 15 bucks to expand beyond 100 entries and never heard back.  The sytem failed, but not so badly that 15 bucks was actually deducted from my credit card.  I looked into Excel, and it is not a relational database which is one reason I did not try it.  Relational means that I can have a table for my localities and then another one for my specimens.  If I put the locality number in to the specimen table, it brings all the data from that locality into the specimen record automatically.

It could be that I am spoiled by using a 500 dollar system at work.  

Another feature I really like about FileMaker is that I can use drop down boxes to enter data.  For example a time period field might have a drop down box with numerous choises: Pleistocene, Pliocene, Miocene, Oligocene, Eocene, Paleocene, Cretacepous, Jurassic, etc.  This way when you enter Cretaceous a thousand times, you enter it spelled correctly 1000 times, unlike my list in the previous sentence.  

I may have to give Excel a try.  And be careful typing.  

edit:  I am looking at Apache.. that might be a good way to go.

Bonus... Apache Base is already in my laptop....

Thanks for the Input, FossilNerd

1 hour ago, jpc said:

Bonus... Apache Base is already in my laptop....

Thanks for the Input, FossilNerd

Glad to help! :thumbsu:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

5 hours ago, jpc said:

I looked into Excel, and it is not a relational database which is one reason I did not try it. 

Thats true, its just a spreadsheet. I have also worked a little bit with a relational database at a museum. Its surely a different world.

I have my Excel-sheet since about 7 years, and it still always fits my needs. The sort and search functions are sufficient for me. I have even a colum with the location (not only locality ;-)) of the specimen, but still incomplete. I am still missing formation, though, because I began with minerals and ores. But that would be very easy to add.

How many specimens would you like to catalogue?

5 hours ago, jpc said:

This way when you enter Cretaceous a thousand times, you enter it spelled correctly 1000 times, unlike my list in the previous sentence.  

Excel fills in automatically, if you have entered that word already and you are beginning to write that word again. But this is a two-sided sword for sure.

Franz Bernhard

6 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

How many specimens would you like to catalogue?

I have about 1200 localities and a couple thousand specimens and another several hunderd bibliographic papers.  

I have had a very frustrating evening researching and trying out different systems.  

I am now (and for the past half hour at least) downloading Specify, but it now tells me that it can't find Java, even though I just downloaded it twice.   

IMHO no sufficient free software available - and especially with a relational DB.

I think, that this gives a good overview about what's available (but it is not restricted to free software):

http://www.equisetites.de/palbot/software/software.html

There are some software from private collectors/programmers here in germany, one of these i am using:

https://www.steinkern.de/vermischtes/sonstige-berichte/1085-sammlungsinventarisierung-am-pc-ein-eigener-ansatz.html 

(Language: German)

15 hours ago, jpc said:

Thanks for the input you guys. 

I tried Trilobase but was not impressed.  I would like to be able to add fields as needed.  Also I sent the guy 15 bucks to expand beyond 100 entries and never heard back.  The sytem failed, but not so badly that 15 bucks was actually deducted from my credit card.  I looked into Excel, and it is not a relational database which is one reason I did not try it.  Relational means that I can have a table for my localities and then another one for my specimens.  If I put the locality number in to the specimen table, it brings all the data from that locality into the specimen record automatically.

That's odd. I only have pleasant experience with the Trilobase guy. Perhaps try to mail him again?

So I personally use Trilobase. And yes it's not perfect but I think it's pretty good. I'm quite happy with it for the most part. And the guy has also listened to feedback I gave in the past.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I too use Trilobase and it works well for me.  Yes it is not perfect,  the one thing I don't like is that it has no dedicated field for the Geologic Formation for specimens.  I think he charges @16 dollars for the full version which accepts unlimited number of specimens.  A free version is good for 100 specimens, so you can play with it to see if you like the program.

Argh! I feel your pain. 500 clams is too much for me as well. I have also been using Filemaker Pro for years and when it was no longer compatible with my old iMac I decided I liked it enough to buy a new mac, which was needed for work and just leave the old one with the old operating system running the database. 

What I have been doing is backing up the FmP stuff as exported Excell files. I use the MS Office for Mac version.

I am not a tech guy but I really wish someone would create a “trilobase” for macs. I think there are more of us out there who would buy it than is believed. 

Mac versus PC is a no-brainer for me. For every Mac I have owned I have tossed 3-4 PCs. You get what you pay for...IMHO

I have been in touch with the Trilobase Guy.  He is very nice.  I owe him a Wyoming Fossil.  He has taken some of my feedback as good ideas for the next update.  I think I will stick with Trilobase.  The fact that he is open to feedback is a huge bonus.     

Hey JPC,  When you talked to him did you mention the issue with no field for the Geologic Formation.  Yeah, I found him to be a nice guy too.

3 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

Hey JPC,  When you talked to him did you mention the issue with no field for the Geologic Formation.  Yeah, I found him to be a nice guy too.

That was one of the questins I asked him.  Here is the answer:

There is no separate field for the formation, but you can add this information in the textbox just below the "Era/Period/Epoch/Age". In this textbox, the mya (Million years Ago) is displayed, but you can enter any information that is relevant.

He also told me how to change field names  ( I told him that 'nearest town' is not something I would ever use.)  PM me about that.  I am not sure if that info is for public digestion.  

JPC, Yeah, I've been doing that for some time.  However, when you go to make/print labels it doesn't print that field.  Not sure if it would be easier/better to change the Age: to the Geologic Period.  Changing the "nearest town" still wouldn't address the printing issue for that field.

I've been using Trilobase for about 10 years and have 1000+ specimens cataloged. So much easier than designing your own spread sheet. I love it.

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"