Cephalopod ID request

Ruger9a

Good evening folks.  I have a Cephalopod section that weighs about 5 pounds and is about 7 inches long without a name:-(  It was collected from leftover bridge fill on the Oregon/Washington border.  No other information was available.  It's unusual (to me) in two ways, first the size and center crystallization and second it appears to have green/brown contents visible where a piece was broken off (right side of photo #1).  Help.... 

DSCN4852 (2).JPG

DSCN4851 (2).JPG

DSCN4857 (2).JPG

DSCN4854 (2).JPG

I really do not think there is any hope of putting a name.on that one, as there are no diagnostic details at all.  Indeed I don't see anything to lend confidence that it is a cephalopod.  Sorry!

Don

10 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

I really do not think there is any hope of putting a name.on that one, as there are no diagnostic details at all.  Indeed I don't see anything to lend confidence that it is a cephalopod.  Sorry!

Don

Thanks Don, 

It was worth a try.  I may need to take some better photos that show more definition.  Maybe that will help to at least identify it as a cephalopod.  What do you think?

Wayne

I do plan to visit you after this coronavirus pandemic quiets down.  We are still a while from that I'm afraid but it will come eventually.  Then I can look at some of your unknowns in person.

Don

19 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I do plan to visit you after this coronavirus pandemic quiets down.  We are still a while from that I'm afraid but it will come eventually.  Then I can look at some of your unknowns in person.

Don

Patiently waiting for normal freedoms and your visit.  Thanks Don.  

I found a similar cephalopod a few years ago. It had the definite external look of a ceph but the surface was full of Ordovician sea life, just like yours. I attributed it to infill of the shell with eventual dissolution. I am sure it was a cephalopod because it possessed a very distinct siphuncle. For what ever reason, locally, siphuncles preserve much better than the outer shell itself. Maybe the central structure is a siphuncle in your example?? 

Mike

Thanks for your suggestion Mike.  It's a very odd piece for sure.  Did your specimen have a crystal core that was visible at both ends as well?

Wayne

On 5/3/2020 at 7:12 PM, Ruger9a said:

Did your specimen have a crystal core that was visible at both ends as well?

@Ruger9a Yes, it was completely crystallized, not uncommon locally here.  

Mike