Belemnites vs crinoids, tooth

DeanB

Found these tubular fossils in the Cody Shale in the Bighorn Basin or Wyoming.  Friends state they are squids of some type.  I can't find any type of belemnite that would fit the bill.  Are these possibly crinoids?

As for the tooth, found laying on top of soil in this Cody Shale...our friends state they have never found a tooth in this area prior. (see photos next post)

Thanks,

Dean

small fossils.jpg

large fossil.jpg

Here are two more views of the tooth also found in the Cody Shale layer.

Thanks,

Dean

tooth back.jpg

tooth front.jpg

14 minutes ago, DeanB said:

Found these tubular fossils in the Cody Shale in the Bighorn Basin or Wyoming.  Friends state they are squids of some type.  I can't find any type of belemnite that would fit the bill.  Are these possibly crinoids?

As for the tooth, found laying on top of soil in this Cody Shale...our friends state they have never found a tooth in this area prior. (see photos next post)

Thanks,

Dean

small fossils.jpg  large fossil.jpg

They are Cretaceous Baculites species of cephalopods.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baculites

BFB65D7E-DC2D-496C-8AC3-643F64DF896E.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Rather than Belemnites, the cephalopod fossils you have found are Baculites. Baculites are straight shelled heteromorph ammonites while Belemnites are more closely related to modern squids and octopus. 

As for the tooth, I'm not sure what species of shark it could be as I don't know what's present in the cody shale, however it does look like one of the many species of lamnid sharks that are commonly found in the western interior seaway's fossil bearing layers. Possibly, Archaeolamna or Cretalamna, maybe even Cretoxyrhina.

• I found this Informative 4