terapoza

Hi. week ago i found this one along bryozoans and crinoids of namurian age. gastropods and goniatites are also abundant in this location. Any ideas?

20200503_103906.jpg

20200503_103930.jpg

The detail when you zoom in looks like bryozoa, however a sharper, closer image would help.

• I found this Informative 1

I'm afraid the preservation could be partly responsible for obscuring some of the detail. Bryozoan seems a safe call though.

Fenestellids were often originally conical and the outside looks like one.  That would be unusual preservation though.

• I found this Informative 2

Tarquin

30 minutes ago, TqB said:

Fenestellids were often originally conical

So sometimes bryozoans with this shape, just never had the usual radiating structures in the center to begin with ?

2 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Sometimes. Like these :

I guess maybe it's the scale that seems smaller than what I'm used to.

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

I guess maybe it's the scale that seems smaller than what I'm used to.

Hmmm. 

I'm not saying this is a bryozoan colony, doesn't look quite right to me. 

I'm thinking coral with the inside partly eroded out or deeply sunken like Caninia :

Fichier:Caninia cornucopiae.jpg — Wikipédia

(from French wiki) 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

50 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hmmm. 

I'm not saying this is a bryozoan colony, doesn't look quite right to me. 

I'm thinking coral with the inside partly eroded out or deeply sunken like Caninia :

I'm thinking that too, but the complete lack of even short septal ends is a puzzling. I suppose the rough surface and recrystallisation of the wall would explain it.

Tarquin

I think it's a Stenolaemate with preservation and presentation issues. :)

Check the left margin of the top photo and tell me that fits into the coral idea.

36 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Check the left margin of the top photo and tell me that fits into the coral idea.

That is odd. OK, I'm stuck. :)

Tarquin

Specimen is highly silicified and fragile. it's hard to notice any septal features characteristic to corals. 

20200503_103915.jpg

Now it does look like a fenestelled bryozoan. 

But is that stuck against the side of the coral?

Or is the whole thing an incredibly preserved Fenestella cone? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

5 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yes, looks like we could have both coral and bryozoan. 

Also, if this was found around Loughrea it is Mississippian, not Namurian, so a little bit older than you thought. 

6 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

56 minutes ago, westcoast said:

Yes, looks like we could have both coral and bryozoan. 

You're both crazy, and we still need an end view. :)

Well. Another photos. Mississippian is the very wide range.late stage serpukhovian is almost the same time what namurian. I am not sure if its visean cause different type of rock and fauna is also different. I think I will take the trip to this location again soon. I was at work last time and didn't have much time nor proper tools. I ve seen few crinoid "heads" and large goniatites.

20200504_094401.jpg

The coral idea seems to have gained traction. I'm not sure the preservation will allow a definite ID though.

3 hours ago, terapoza said:

Well. Another photos. Mississippian is the very wide range.late stage serpukhovian is almost the same time what namurian. I am not sure if its visean cause different type of rock and fauna is also different. I think I will take the trip to this location again soon. I was at work last time and didn't have much time nor proper tools. I ve seen few crinoid "heads" and large goniatites.

20200504_094401.jpg

If you are willing to give location we can probably tie down the age a bit better, Do you have additional information that gives serphukovian/namurian age?

I think about cutting this one in half to check for any internal features. I ve seen more specimens like this one in the rocks.

5 hours ago, westcoast said:

If you are willing to give location we can probably tie down the age a bit better, Do you have additional information that gives serphukovian/namurian age?

You are absolutely right. It 's the waulsortian limestone formation with origins from late Tournaisian to early Visean. Bedrock shows most of components typical for this formation like crinoidal and bryozoan debris , calcite mudstone and in situ fenestellids. Exact location is Racecourse rd. near Loughrea on the route to Portumna. Thank you.