New Jersey Cretaceous Hollow Bone Fossil?

Kurufossils

Hello everyone, found this hallowed out bone in Big Brook nj. It is rock solid and when I did the burn test on it, it remain unscathed with no smell so I definitely think its fossilized bone. I'm not to sure if it's identifiable as is, any thoughts on this one will be appreciated.

Screenshot_20200503-175935_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200503-175931_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200503-175927_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200503-175924_Gallery.jpg

• digit changed the title to New Jersey Cretaceous Hollow Bone Fossil?

Sorry, but this doesn't look like bone, to me. 

Maybe some others will weigh in before you dismiss it, entirely. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

If it is indeed bone, that one's going to be rough to ID. For a bone to have a chance of identification it generally has to have some diagnostic feature still present. Dugong bones in Florida can be identified even from a small fragment as they are distinctive in lacking the spongy cancellous bone tissue in the center (used for ballast to help them sink and also helps them preserve as fossils). Without at least an articulating end on the bone it will likely be impossible to assign an ID. Many times bone bits are never able to be assigned an ID with any certainty--it kinda goes with discovering fragmentary evidence of long departed life forms. I think this will end up in your bowl (or bag) of unknowns. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

@digit Thanks and I agree I know sometimes here since its a marine cretaceous site also sometimes the bones gets so eroded, worn, and the interiors decay before fossilization and tend to make alot of IDs near impossible, but its always worth a shot to inquire :dinothumb:

Occasionally, you get lucky and one of the local members on this forum has seen a great deal of a particular type of fossil and can identify partial finds from seeing a lot more of the same in a more complete state. I can recognize a tiny fragment of mastodon tooth the size of a fingernail from having seen numerous larger fragments (but sadly no complete tooth--yet ;)). Mostly though, you are not likely to get a positive response unless you have a diagnostic feature like the articulating surface on one end of the bone. The Florida Museum of Natural History (FLMNH) and Dr. Richard Hulbert won't even look at a bone unless it has at least one end on it. Anonymous middle sections of long bones might just as well be a rolled up newspaper as far as he is concerned. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

It’s likely a modern piece of bone

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal