Another Glen Rose Vertebrate

erose

There is a location close to where I work in Central Texas that has produced some pretty nice fossils over time.  It is a rather unassuming road cut that at first glance and a quick scan looks like the usual mix of clam and snail steinkerns and mostly busted up oysters. Typical Upper Glen Rose Formation. But early on I had found that it also included one of the upper echinoid marker beds.  In Units 6 & 7 there are thin beds loaded with oysters and echinoids. Mostly the very typical Loriolia rosana but also the occasional Coenholectypus planatus or rare C. ovatus as well as Heteraster, Phymosoma and, again rare, Polydiadema. Within that thin layer I would also find bryozoans and crustaceans. As I climbed the cut one day to get to the echinoid layer I came across a fairly decent ammonite as well and that got me to pay more attention to the rest of the cut.  Then last year I had a nice talk with a gentleman named William (Bill)  Rader who has been doing research for years in our local rocks. You can find his name attached to all sorts of papers on everything from echinoids to crabs. Bill told me to look there for vertebrate fossils, including crocodiles.  Well duh, the next time I go I find a crocodile bone (there's a post from me last year on that)

Yesterday I decided to put some hours in at the shop and on the way home stopped to see what the recent rains had exposed.  I found some Loriolias and then I found this. Any ideas? I have some swags in mind but I have never been a big collector of vertebrate material.  

DSC_0439.jpeg

DSC_0446.jpeg

DSC_0449.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Now in addition to this bone I also found some pycnodontid teeth as well as this odd cylindical tooth. Any ideas?

DSC_0453.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Way to go Eric.  That roadcut just keeps on giving for you.  Great job, my friend.

• I found this Informative 1