A Pleasant Afternoon in Schoharie County, N.Y.

Jeffrey P

33 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Are you talking about Clarita? I visited Theisen's Quarry about a year and a half ago on my way to Texas. I did note that there were many species in common (especially brachiopods) with New York's Kalkberg. One can compare specimens from both in my collection drawers. 

Yes, although I have not yet had the pleasure of visiting Clarita. My stuff is from the same formation(s) at a place called Yellow Bluff*. Our club would go almost every year and visit a handful of Paleozoic sites in that area.  One of the great disappointments of this pandemic for me was the cancellation of our(PSA) annual Oklahoma field trip which I had missed a number of years in a row. We have great Pennsylvanian & Permian exposures in north central Texas but not a lot of lower Paleozoic to collect. Of course the ubber abundant Cretaceous makes up for it most days.

*a private property site that is not easy to gain access to outside of a club field trip

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like it was a very successful trip. That Kettneraspis is awesome! I’ve found a lot of spines and free cheeks of that species from the Kalkberg formation but never one as complete as the one you found. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my Kettneraspis trilobite find after a successful preparation by Ptychodus04. 

kettneraspis.jpg

• I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 1