North America Ammonite Dichotomous Key?

KyleR

Hi everyone,

I just got into fossil collecting and for some reason Ammonites have my attention. I have a small background in beetle taxonomy, so I was curious if there is a dichotomous key for North American Ammonites? Are dichotomous keys even a thing for fossils? Is there any comprehensive books or guides for Ammonites in English? All I am aware of is the "Treasties on Invertebrate Paleontology" and the fourm search function isn't helping me out either.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I am not aware of any dichotomous keys for fossils. 

Most scientific papers about ammonites tend to be tied to specific localities, and/or  time periods. So typing in "North American Ammonite fossils PDF" on Google might only get you an overview .

However, "Texas Ammonites" brings up these results on the Forum. 

Knowing what Formation you are concerned with can help narrow down your searches. 

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you,

I am still very new to all of this, so I don't really have much of a clue. I guess I need to figure out which formations are in my area, and while I'm at it, learn basic geology:D

Hi Kyle, and welcome to the Forum.  I am also an entomologist (although more on the molecular biology side) and I teach a lab course in medical entomology (amongst other things), and so I am quite familiar with dichotomous keys.  I have thought from time to time that they would be useful for fossil identification, but I have never seen them used.  I started to put some together one time, but I never finished the project.  Maybe it would be something worthwhile to finish up, if I can find the files I started.

Don

• I found this Informative 4

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Maybe it would be something worthwhile to finish up, if I can find the files I started.

Don

I would encourage you to do just that, especially now that we have so much extra time on our hands :)

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/