Good afternoon folks.  I have a crab (Zanthopsis dufouri) from Spain that I've been prepping/detailing and came across something in it's claw.  I am wondering if anyone can tell me if it was the crab's last meal or something I should remove?  The crab still has one eye and one antenna so I'm thinking it's possible it could have been eating when it was covered.  Comments are appreciated.  

DSCN4983 (2).JPG

DSCN4985 (2).JPG

DSCN4989 (2).JPG

DSCN4995 (2).JPG

DSCN4996 (2).JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Alex @MB will have some insight.  

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice crab. :)

Thanks Adam, just received it Saturday.  It was part of one of RJB's lot sales that I purchased.  The crab immediately caught my eye because the upper half was already visible and the carapace and upper claws were in such beautiful condition.  Since the bottom half was untouched, I wondered if I could turn it into a 3D specimen.  So, I started removing the remaining matrix around the carapace and claws and decided to go for it.  Spent two days working on the matrix removal around the carapace (with an EZACTO) before deciding to look for something easier to work on for a while.  That's when I removed a portion of the lower half of the nodule and most of the matrix around the claws.  When I came to extremely hard matrix in the pincer I stopped because it looks like it "may" have been eating it prior to being entombed.  I don't want to remove it if there is any chance it might be.  So, I asked the question to see what the experts and/or other folks thought.  When I'm finished I plan to send some photos to Ron to see if he thinks I did it justice.

• I found this Informative 1

11 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

So you got that lot? Nice score!!

Don

OMG.....yes, does that mean you out to get me now??  LOL.  I saw your comment on the listing, "DANG".  You can look at them when you stop by, besides didn't you just won another crab auction?

4 hours ago, caterpillar said:

I think you can remove the bit. It's not a last meal. Maybe a part of a leg but nothing interesting

Thanks caterpillar, I was hoping.....  I'm really not sure if I can remove it anyway, at least not without damaging the pincers because it is soooo hard.  Do you think it would be a distraction if I just left it where it is?  Not sure how much of the abdomen of the crab is there (if any) but again, I am hoping.  It will all have to wait for at least another few days as my wrist hurts from holding it and I have blisters on my fingers from working the EXACTO.  So, a prepping vacation is definitely in my near term schedule...  Thanks for your input.

Indeed this matrix is very hard. I have already prepared many of these crabs and certainly the abdomen is present. But if you don't feel like preparing it more, leave it like that. It is already very good

9 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

Indeed this matrix is very hard. I have already prepared many of these crabs and certainly the abdomen is present. But if you don't feel like preparing it more, leave it like that. It is already very good

Thank you!  I do want to see if I can make it 3D or as close as I can, but it will most likely be next week before I recover enough to take another stab at it.  I just don't want to mess up the abdomen like I did on this one.

20191109_102328.jpg

Yes, the abdomen and the insertion of the legs are more delicate to prepare than the shell. But on the Spanish Zanthopsis, it comes out not too bad

16 minutes ago, caterpillar said:
Yes, the abdomen and the insertion of the legs are more delicate to prepare than the shell. But on the Spanish Zanthopsis, it comes out not too bad

caterpillar do you have any photo samples that I could use as a reference?

Oh, by the way.  The very hard matrix in the feeding claw continues through to the carapace. 

On 05/05/2020 at 10:17 PM, Ruger9a said:

Good afternoon folks.  I have a crab (Zanthopsis dufouri) from Spain that I've been prepping/detailing and came across something in it's claw.  I am wondering if anyone can tell me if it was the crab's last meal or something I should remove?  The crab still has one eye and one antenna so I'm thinking it's possible it could have been eating when it was covered.  Comments are appreciated.  

DSCN4983 (2).JPG

DSCN4985 (2).JPG

DSCN4989 (2).JPG

DSCN4995 (2).JPG

DSCN4996 (2).JPG

Nice crab mate.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

On 6/5/2020 at 9:14 AM, caterpillar said:

I think you can remove the bit. It's not a last meal. Maybe a part of a leg but nothing interesting

Hi, I agree with Caterpillar, leg remains.

:)

• I found this Informative 4

4 hours ago, caterpillar said:

Here some spanish Zanthopsis

zanthopsis.JPG

Xanthopsis dufouri 4.jpg

Zanthopsis dufouri 5.jpg

Xanthopsis dufouri 2.jpg

Thank you.  I'm going to need these to ensure I don't mess it up.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are interested, here is an update on my prepping progress to turn this crab into a 3D specimen.

Top start1.jpg

Top start2.jpg

Top start3.JPG

Front and sides.  Just wish I had remembered to take before photos.....  

Crab front 1.jpg

Crab front 2.jpg

Crab front3.JPG

Crab front4.JPG

19 hours ago, fossisle said:

Wow nice job!!

19 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

That came out very nice indeed! :wub:

Don

Thanks guys, it's still not finished.  I have been working on it for over two weeks now, for a good part of every day.  Saving the antennae was crossed off my priority list as it took entirely too long working around it and I kept chipping pieces off by accident.   Not to mention all the accidental cuts to my fingers and the 15 XACTO blade replacements....  So yes, I decided to deploy the Dremel tool which (as I suspected) caused me to break some pieces off that have to be glued.  This matrix is SUPER HARD!!!!!!!!  Had this crab not been as large as it is or looked so complete, I would never had attempted it in the first place.  However, since I started it I will complete it and continue to post progress photos for those who are interested.  I "should" have it completed by next week, I'm keeping my (cut up) fingers crossed.

Wow! I applaud your persistence and patience!

It must be extremely hard work with a blade. Do you not have air scribes or is this a choice for very delicate work.

I imagine something like a microjack scribe would be up to the task.

Look forward to updates on this crab.