1 hour ago, Ruger9a said:

Maybe some of @Bobby Rico art skills/suggestions can help me blend it in with the background. 

Great job on that crab a lovely display piece. I think you could get some acrylic or model paint I have use both on my stands . They will take to copper Let me know if you need more help. Bobby 

• I found this Informative 1

43 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Great job on that crab a lovely display piece. I think you could get some acrylic or model paint I have use both on my stands . They will take to copper Let me know if you need more help. Bobby 

Thanks @Bobby Rico.  I have tried several different colors without success.  I'm trying to match the color of the matrix, any suggestions?

51 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

Thanks @Bobby Rico.  I have tried several different colors without success.  I'm trying to match the color of the matrix, any suggestions?

Ok first mix up  (mix on a pallet so you cover in cling film) white , a little yellow and little brown to mix with the some lose matrix. 

6BC48359-C717-4CBB-9E87-D813781E4F9A.jpegthen use a couple of different shared just to speckle the wire in random places almost like camouflage. 
It really difficult for me say exactly the colour because photos often don’t show the true colour. Paint in good daylight because electric lights alway change the colour of browns . Cheers Bobby 

14 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Ok first mix up  (mix on a pallet so you cover in cling film) white , a little yellow and little brown to make any in the matrix. 

then use a couple of different shared just to speckle the wire in random places almost like camouflage. 
It really difficult for me say exactly the colour because photos often don’t show the true colour. Paint in good daylight because electric lights alway change the colour of browns . Cheers Bobby 

Thanks @Bobby Rico  That's a wonderful idea.  I'll crush up some matrix and mix it with some neutral paint.   It won't be today for sure, but in the next week I will attempt the "camouflage" it.  I knew you would come up with a solution!  Thanks again Bobby. 

Your crabbie turned out very cool.  I really it being mounted on a big piece of sea floor matrix by that copper wire.  I think your being guided in the right direction with the painting of the wire. I've thought about doing that on a couple of my crabs, but the majority are in concretion.  I cut a oblong concretion that had two crabs in it and thought of doing the "wire" idea so I could rotate the crabs, but it became unworkable. Oh well.  Again a sweet specimen there.

On 6/4/2020 at 11:52 AM, crabfossilsteve said:

Your crabbie turned out very cool.  I really it being mounted on a big piece of sea floor matrix by that copper wire.  I think your being guided in the right direction with the painting of the wire. I've thought about doing that on a couple of my crabs, but the majority are in concretion.  I cut a oblong concretion that had two crabs in it and thought of doing the "wire" idea so I could rotate the crabs, but it became unworkable. Oh well.  Again a sweet specimen there.

@crabfossilsteve  Thanks for your comments Steve.  This crab was in concretion (at least 2/3rds of it) when I received it.  I thought it was complete (all legs) so I decided to work it into a 3D display.  I'm happy with the results even though it's short a few legs.  I will say it took a LOT of time and patience to achieve the end results.  I believe you can do the same if you really want to take the time, have an abundance of patience and don't mind temporarily losing the feelings in some of your finger tips. 

Thanks Roger

Yeah, thanks for the comments.   I looked at the arrangement of the crabs after cutting the concretion and prepping both specimens.  The angle of the initial cut, the thickness of the matrix at the point where both would contact each other, all conspired against trying the wire connection.  Also they wouldn't rotate into positions to be able to see both specimens.....argge.  Also, these crabs would have been near impossible to completely remove from the matrix.  I like what I did anyhow, by just gluing them together in a fixed position to see both crabbies.   Two crabs on top of each other with all their legs down to the tippies and splayed put nicely is not common......at all.  He he.