Theropod Dinosaur Tooth from Morocco ID

ancientlifecaptor

HI, I purchased this Unidentified theropod tooth a few years ago from a seller that sold it as a "Raptor" tooth. It is from the Kem Kem beds from Morocco, during the late Cretaceous Period. It is 1.3 Centimetres (1/2 inch) long.  The seller also mentioned that it may likely be from an Abelisaurid. I think that it is most likely an Abelisaurid tooth and I am looking forward to updating it's identification tag in my collection. Yet I need to be certain that I am correctly identifying this tooth. What are your thoughts about what this tooth could be? I apologize if I spelled/addressed the names incorrectly and I would thank you for the correction. Feel free to ask for better quality pictures if you need any. 

WP_20200505_18_58_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20200505_18_58_42_Pro.jpg

WP_20200505_19_01_59_Pro.jpg

WP_20200505_19_03_11_Pro.jpg

WP_20200505_19_03_58_Pro.jpg

Edited by ancientlifecaptor

I saw the terminology you are using to describe your tooth.

Here are more typical terms

Screenshot_20200506-040918.thumb.jpg.6bbd60d1360ae9474f6e82b8be3b6d69.jpg

A proposed terminology of theropod teeth (Dinosauria, Saurischia)
Article in Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology · September 2015  Hendrickx et al.

• I found this Informative 5

Yes, you are right. The tooth looks like my abelisaurid teeth from the KemKem with the straight distal side.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

I saw the terminology you are using to describe your tooth.

Here are more typical terms

Screenshot_20200506-040918.thumb.jpg.6bbd60d1360ae9474f6e82b8be3b6d69.jpg

A proposed terminology of theropod teeth (Dinosauria, Saurischia)
Article in Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology · September 2015  Hendrickx et al.

@TroodonThank you, this is very informative. The terminology of teeth fascinates me. Do you agree that this is is most likely an Abelisaurid tooth instead of a Dromaeosaurid tooth? I've been trying to any publication on Theropod teeth of the Kem Kem Basin, and had no luck.

52 minutes ago, Compy said:

Yes, you are right. The tooth looks like my abelisaurid teeth from the KemKem with the straight distal side.

@Compy Thank you, I've read on an older post that they have a straight distal side, compared to the usually curved teeth of most Dromaeosaur teeth. Yet there are hardly any publications on Abelisaur teeth, which left me in the dark for awhile.

It does have the morphology of an Abelisaurid tooth.  No publication has yet come out to say Dromaeosaurids are present in the Kem Kem but the paper I show below describes a few as dromaesaurid like.  We  suspect they are present but have yet to see a publication to support that.  Not a lot of publications on teeth from the KK because so little articulated material has been found to ties a tooth to a species.  Currently no theropod tooth can be assigned to a described  genus/species

Isolated theropod teeth from the Kem Kem Beds
(Early Cenomanian) near Taouz, Morocco
Ute Richter • Alexander Mudroch • Lisa G. Buckley

• I found this Informative 3

@Troodon thank you very much, I find it very helpful. I would like to also thank others for helping me with this ID. I am interested to learn more about this group of Theropods and will look into it. I am happy to update it's ID card, as it is a nice piece in my collection.