small patterned fossil?

Rowboater

Like most of what I find these days, this is small (the scalemarks are mm).  A small cylinder with diagonal pattern of markings.  Seems too solid for fossil cartilage or skin?  Any ideas?

2020-05-06_2.jpg

2020-05-06-1.jpg

Crocodylian scute as it seems (very blurry fotos). With location, strata etc. probably more to say...

Maybe a segment of a bryozoan. Any chance we can see a cross section?

• I found this Informative 1

Agreed that the blurry photos make identification more difficult. From the description it is a cylinder and the two photos I'm assuming are showing both sides. In my experience crocodilian osteoderms tend to have a smooth side (bottom) and a very patterned side (top) and are never cylindrical. My thoughts leaned toward a very worn coral branch or more likely, as mentioned above, a worn section of a branching bryozoan showing the zooid chambers.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

I agree - if it is a cylindrical piece it makes croc-scute unlikely....

Better pics and strata/location, pls...

@Pemphix, @Al Dente, @digit,@Tidgy's Dad, Wow, thanks everyone for the quick responses!  I don't think it's a scute, it's a tiny, nicely patterned cylindrical "stone".  It's inside is plugged, but looks like it could have been patterned , chambered on the inside as well? Both ends are rounded so hard to say.  Al, what should the cross-section look like?

I had recently found a "film" of bryozoans on several shells on the beach, thought they might be some type of fine coral, but people were helpful then also.  Learned something today, thanks everyone! 

• I found this Informative 2

image.jpeg.28e9305c878576bb15443b38d5d51784.jpeg

From springer.com 

And a cross section in some areas of one of my own Hirnantian Pachydictya. (Yours is not this genus). 

Pachydictya1.thumb.jpg.2332595ebb685795f8360c9920a928dd.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Rowboater said:

Learned something today, thanks everyone! 

That's what we strive for. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

@Tidgy's Dad  Thanks for the illustration!  Looks very similar and with just a little imagination I can see something similar at the inside of the ends!

• I found this Informative 1